advertisement

Mono carts - what we all using?

Lordhenley

pfm Member
As the title says, what we all using for mono vinyl playback, Ive accumulated quite a bit of mono pressings lately especially classical, Blue Note Jazz etc and have been considering a mono cart for the Jelco 750D. I dont want to go to the extremes of an SPU or Miyajima so would set the budget at a maximum of say £300

From what I have read on the internet getting a mono cart is a game changer for mono vinyl playback, is this the case?

Ive also posted the same thread on AOS just to see what the posters on there have to say

Look forward to hearing from you

Lee

Most mono cartridges are just the stereo versions with their coils paralleled together, hence the higher output. There are only a handful of proper dedicated mono cartridges made today. Miyajima Labs being one and they are probably making the best monos too.

Using a proper mono cartridge like the Miyajima Labs Zero Mono is only half the job. To get the best mono sound you need a mono phono stage to match, and if your mono collection stretches before 1957 then one with switchable EQ is a must.

I will purchase a DV XX2 Mk11 Mono one of these days for my Beatles, Dylan mono originals.

I have several mono cartridges - a Shelter 501, an Audio Technica AT33 Mono and (about to arrive) a slightly used Lyra Dorian Mono. These are all "true mono" cartridges - either a single coil or dual coil registering only vertical movement. I also had an Ortofon Quintet mono but this is almost certainly a "strapped stereo" cartridge and not recommended.

The Audio Technica is a bit of a bargain and highly recommended. It can be used into a stereo phono stage and will sound better than a stereo cartridge for mono records. But as Graham suggests above, a mono phono stage will be a further improvement. As it happens, I have just received one of Graham's mono phono stages - a Tron Convergence Mono - and it is quite a revelation.

The benefits of a mono cartridge over a stereo cartridge for mono records are:

• Lower noise - the mono cartridge does not register noise from horizontal stylus movement. You will be amazed how quiet some very old mono records can be.
  • Greater tonal density and saturation
  • The music doesn't appear from a central point as it does when playing mono records on a stereo cartridge, but has width, depth and a sense of space - so much so that you hardly notice they are mono, but do notice that they sound fantastic.
If you have a second arm or turntable and enough mono records a dedicated mono set up is very highly recommended.

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated, looks like a little bit more research is required on my behalf, is it possible to get a mono switch added to a stereo phono stage?

I have several mono cartridges - a Shelter 501, an Audio Technica AT33 Mono and (about to arrive) a slightly used Lyra Dorian Mono. These are all "true mono" cartridges - either a single coil or dual coil registering only vertical movement. I also had an Ortofon Quintet mono but this is almost certainly a "strapped stereo" cartridge and not recommended.
I see the AT33 Mono whilst having one horizontal coil it can be played on stereo records without damaging them - ie it has vertical compliance. (you got your vertical and horizontal mixed up, no big deal it's the sort of thing I do.

I have this itch for a Miyajima (I have a 2nd deck to dedicate), I wonder how the much cheaper AT33 Mono would compare.

BTW I use an Ortofon 2M Mono SE - that's the one with a Shibata tip.

I have this itch for a Miyajima (I have a 2nd deck to dedicate), I wonder how the much cheaper AT33 Mono would compare.

BTW I use an Ortofon 2M Mono SE - that's the one with a Shibata tip.

I compared brand new examples of the AT33 Mono and Miyajima Kotetu and it was clear that the Kotetu is a much more expressive and musical thing. The AT33 Mono is notably good value, and having some vertical compliance will play stereo records without damaging them, but for not a huge amount more, the Kotetu really is better in all aspects of music replay, IME.

Good as the Kotetu is, a Miyajima Zero is a truly astonishing performer and in its limited to mono niche, quite possibly the finest thing that I’ve ever heard in vinyl replay, at any price.

I compared brand new examples of the AT33 Mono and Miyajima Kotetu and it was clear that the Kotetu is a much more expressive and musical thing. The AT33 Mono is notably good value, and having some vertical compliance will play stereo records without damaging them, but for not a huge amount more, the Kotetu really is better in all aspects of music replay, IME.

Good as the Kotetu is, a Miyajima Zero is a truly astonishing performer and in its limited to mono niche, quite possibly the finest thing that I’ve ever heard in vinyl replay, at any price.
The Zero is very much in my thoughts, has been for a while. I would however need a high mass arm or at least add mass to the OL Encounter on my mono deck (a 301). What arm would you suggest is a good match for the Zero?

What about the Denon DL-102? Well within budget at about £200 and a true mono cart that has been around since mono records were current! I’ve never heard one myself, but they have a good reputation and are certainly the real thing. Need a fair bit of mass.

The Zero is very much in my thoughts, has been for a while. I would however need a high mass arm or at least add mass to the OL Encounter on my mono deck (a 301). What arm would you suggest is a good match for the Zero?

The Encounter is almost certainly fine. Miyajima mono cartridges have no vertical compliance whatsoever and track at 3g or more, so the arm mass is not as critical as with a low compliance Miyajima stereo cartridge which really does need a bit more mass behind it. The Encounter also has that heavy bearing surround which I’m presuming is there to impart greater horizontal inertia, which is good, and I’d be amazed if you did not get a lovely result with a Zero.

You are welcome to try a Zero Mono B (0.7 mil tip) if you wish, without obligation.

What about the Denon DL-102? Well within budget at about £200 and a true mono cart that has been around since mono records were current! I’ve never heard one myself, but they have a good reputation and are certainly the real thing. Need a fair bit of mass.

I thought about that one Tony as I’m a big fan of the 103, I’ve also shortlisted the Ortofon 2M mono

Ideally this is a very suitable tonearm for the Zero Mono:

SME-M2-12Ra.jpg

I own a DL-102 Denon and have to admit it's the only Denon cart I've ever owned that has disappointed me. I've tried the normal stuff ( electrical loading and mechanically mass loading the arm) and for whatever reason it just doesn't light my fire -seems a little hard or bright ? Has anyone tried the Grado mono cart ?

I had DL-102 some years ago and had a similar experience. The AT33 Mono is much better for not much more.

Rega made me a couple of of bias monos for when I was archiving some battered old 7 inch singles.Worked very well and a big improvement from the sterio version.All the old singles were all mono of course.

advertisement

Back