Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitor Audio 7’s

Discussion in 'audio' started by JezmondTutu, Jun 30, 2022.

1. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I can’t think I’ve ever seen these speakers mentioned on PFM?

Having helped out at a classic Linn/Naim/Rega dealership when I was younger, I always had a massive soft spot for these speakers. I also recall the Cornflake Shop running them on the end of a Xerxes and some pretty serious Exposure amps at a hifi show and they sounded amazing. They packed a surprising punch, had fantastic imaging and just melted away.

So, I’ve just bought a pair which should be arriving at Tutu towers shortly. Will they be replacing my SCM40A’s? Certainly not! But I reckon they will be awesome in our new log cabin. All for £40!

PhilofCas and Caledon1297 like this.
  2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I nearly bought a pair back in the late ‘70s.

3. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Different speaker Martin - these were mid-90’s.

4. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Gosh.
    I thought there was only one model.

JezmondTutu likes this.
  5. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

6. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Monitor Audio Monitor 7s were my first 'proper' hi-fi speakers, but IIRC, it was late1989/possibly early 1990 that I got mine?

JezmondTutu likes this.
  7. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

I also have a vague recollection of (I think ?) Chris Frankland giving a favourable review to the Monitor 9s?

JezmondTutu likes this.
  8. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Ah that may well be about right. I’m sure they will be perfect for the required application!

Caledon1297 likes this.
  9. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I actually preferred them to the 9’s and the floor standing 14’s which What Hifi raved about at the time.

I’ll report back sometime when I’ve set them up. Only have one means of driving them currently - Avondale Grad One, TPX2 and a Zap250!

Caledon1297 likes this.