advertisement

Mogami speaker cable: 2972 or 3103 or ?

The problem is that I live in Portugal and customs here are a real problem. It'd take another 2 months just to clear and with all the taxes it'd probably make it much more expensive than anywhere else in Europe. I could go for audiophonics.fr but it's €20 just for post... too much...

I just found a store that lists them, I'm waiting for a quote. Maybe I'll get lucky...

Are there many differences between 3103 and 2972? Which should be better? I only need single wire.

Has anyone actually compared the Van Damme to the Mogami and either to anything else more... "boutique", like a Chord Epic or similar?

Also, I am using QED79, should I get an improvement in performance or it's not significant to justify... £30?

Just to enquire, is this cable (2972) a safe choice to use with Farlowe era Exposure amps or do I need to get the NAC A5 out of the loft? Sounds fine.

Just to enquire, is this cable (2972) a safe choice to use with Farlowe era Exposure amps or do I need to get the NAC A5 out of the loft? Sounds fine.
I've used 2972 4 core in various set ups over the years. Got 10+ years ago. From Patrick Dickson I think. Notably good between,
Exposure 18 monos , Epos es22.
Densen b330, Wb arcs.
Chord 1200c, Neat 3i.
I've also got Exposure and Nac a5 . Also very good in various set ups. I find the Mogami just slightly fuller in its presentation than both of these.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually compared the Van Damme to the Mogami and either to anything else more... "boutique", like a Chord Epic or similar?

Also, I am using QED79, should I get an improvement in performance or it's not significant to justify... £30?

I have some Van Damme speaker cable. Compared to anything like LS25, LS40, LS80 etc, it comes off as distinctly second best in every department, but it is at least inoffensive, and if somebody likes it and it’s good enough for them, well why not.

I have a question for ACM .. what is a good audio store in Tokyo for accessories? I was in Tokyo 2 wks ago for a 24hrs stay before going up to Sapporo. I am familiar with Yodobashi, Bic and Audio Union. I did not have a chance to look for wires despite acquiring a cartridge and a phono board during that time. I usually go to Japan once every 2 to 3 years, so my question is really for future purchase. I can PM you if it is more convince. Thanks in advance.
Tom

I bought Mogami Neglex 2534 XLRs from Designacable.
They cost £90.
My dealer was recommending some fancy cable (unsure of make) that would work out at £4k for that length.
We compared them in the shop against each other.
We all agreed the £90 Mogami was marginally better.

Sometime there are small differences speaker cables in between.
Sometime its system dependent.

Mostly very expensive cables are a con, sometime they are just ordinary cables covered with some fancy stuff and named a fancy name.
One of the most terrible cable I've ever heard and very expensive is was, were Nordost.
I would feel like a fool if I had spend a fortune on something like that.

Mogami is well known for a good solid cable at reasonable prices, often used in studios, not by audioholics.
They do have a confusing number range though.
I use a long length interconnect to my sub, recall its 2582 but not sure.

There is a user review on audiophonics which compares 3104, 3103 and 2972 Mogami cables. They liked all three but overall they said 2972 was even better, which is what I anticipated. They didn’t state the equipment used. My thoughts are that if you are using a fairly efficient system then lighter weight cables sound better. I’ll be writing about this under my trade name toetapaudio, comparing some smaller gauge speaker cables Mogami 2972, Klotz 2 x 2.5, Belden 8470, 9497 and possibly others including RAMM in the future. Our reference system includes the new Closer OGY full range speaker which is efficient and very transparent.

the one with the lowest resistance and inductance per metre. Capacitance isn't really particularly relevant for a speaker cable. Restistence followed by inductance are the far more important things to consider. Everything else is just snake oil.

Out of the ones listed here I'd use the W3103. 3104 gives nothing worth spending the extra for, and 3103 has significantly lower restistance than 2972. Remember we're talking about output impedences of fractions of an ohm in most cases so fractions of an ohm differences in speaker cable is a significant proportion of the overall circuit, especially if the speaker impedance is on the low side.

NB: in comparison 8TC has significantly lower inductance than any of those mogami cables and it's restistence per metre is about the same as 2972. Kimber speaker cables are designed to be as low inductance as possible. Their original range of speaker cables (4TC, 8TC & 12TC) are one the few speaker cables that are not snake oil. That said, the prices are not justifiable.

advertisement

Back