advertisement

Mogami speaker cable: 2972 or 3103 or ?

ACM

Vinyl Junkie
I've just moved to a new apartment and I finally have plenty of room to set up the system properly :D

I was using short (2.5M) runs of Kimber 8TC previously, but I now need 7M a side. I'm based in Tokyo where Kimber is expensive, but Mogami is cheap, so I think I'll be going the Mogami route (I'm already using Mogami interconnects).

The question is which Mogami speaker cable to go for? I'm using Dynavector amps with Shahinian Arcs.

Any suggestions?

The 2972 is perfectly adequate, and is my cable of choice. It offers minor 'adjustment' capacitance depending on how you pair up the quad of conductors. Both 2972 and 3103 have the same conductivity, but the 2972 is a bit slimmer and more flexible.

James

Hi,

I replaced 7 metres of Kimber 8TC with a similar length of Mogami 2972 into Shahinian Arc's. The Mogami was better, more of everything that matters.

You are making the right choice going for the 2972.

Cheers

John

its fine if you like a dull uninspired sound ....of course the longer the length the more pronounced the effect ....there must be a myriad of local alternatives that you can try ...failing that and you have some diy skills ...

buy a couple of reels of wire wrap [magnet wire] I'd suggest o.6mm and o.9 mm divide the spools up till you have three or four of the 0.9 and 0.8 cores running parallel over a 15m length ...then using a power drill gently spin the cores together ...chop in half bare each wire . Then repeat ..... run the two cores side by side in oversized rubber pipe[garden hose] use cable ties to keep the two hose in check ....and repeat

this may seem a lot of work ...but the cable you will make will out perform all but the most expensive .......

I use this design , and it gets very close to my previous £60/m silver ribbon cable at a fraction of the cost. To outperform the pure silver cable you need to fill the hose outers with an inert damping material of reasonable density ....not easy but well worth the effort.....say a silicone caulk or similar

its fine if you like a dull uninspired sound ....of course the longer the length the more pronounced the effect ....there must be a myriad of local alternatives that you can try ...failing that and you have some diy skills ...
The pros must really dig dull and uninspired. How do you cope with their recordings given that most, if not all, studios are wired with this stuff?

buy a couple of reels of wire wrap [magnet wire] I'd suggest o.6mm and o.9 mm divide the spools up till you have three or four of the 0.9 and 0.8 cores running parallel over a 15m length ...then using a power drill gently spin the cores together ...chop in half bare each wire . Then repeat ..... run the two cores side by side in oversized rubber pipe[garden hose] use cable ties to keep the two hose in check ....and repeat

this may seem a lot of work ...but the cable you will make will out perform all but the most expensive .......

I use this design , and it gets very close to my previous £60/m silver ribbon cable at a fraction of the cost. To outperform the pure silver cable you need to fill the hose outers with an inert damping material of reasonable density ....not easy but well worth the effort.....say a silicone caulk or similar
I admire DIY efforts, but I can't help imagining this must look like a dog's breakfast in the living room. Garden hoses belong in the garden.

James

I like a dull uninspired sound myself - I call it 'natural'. Of course if you are on E and can't keep still, then perhaps something silver is right for you.

Spot on!

Anyone that finds a neutral studio spec copper cable dull needs to look elsewhere at their system for the culprit, because it neither adds nor takes anything away.

Mind you, if you're used to listening with your speakers lashed together with magnet wire and garden hose then it's not surprising really.

i bi wire - bass guitar strings for the bass speaker and a top e guitar string for the tweeters - i find the strings resonate in the room to the music and make the loudspeakers "sing" more

I've been using 2972 for about 5 years now, it represents the exact point where I lost interest in speaker cable as it works perfectly well and is robust and manageable. I terminated it with equally unpretentious RS banana plugs.

Tony.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I have now placed an order with a studio gear supplier for 14 metres of 2972. A total bargain at just 840 JPY a metre (that's about 6.00 GBP at current exchange rates). For comparison, I recently checked the cost of 8TC off-the-reel in Akihabara and it was 8,190 JPY per metre!

sorry for the message the other night - it was late - i wad taking the piss out of the home brew.

fwiw i only think cable from mogami / klotz / or sommer is worth bothering about terminated in neutrics or if if din preh but thats about it - everything else is just a waste of time / money/ life

Evening Chaps.

Can anyone advise on the cheapest place to get Mogami 2972 Speaker cable?

Many Thanks.

Phil

Hi everyone! Sorry to dig out this post. I've been looking for the Mogami cable for a while but seems to be next impossible to get it at a decent price in Europe.

Next option should be Sommercable, Gotham or Van Damme. Has anyone tried or compared any of these against the Mogami?

Later I will try NVA LS3, and when money allows it, maybe Tellurium Q, as the hype seems to be too good. Does anyone have an opinion on these too?

Many thanks!

Hmmm...

I tried Mogami few years ago and then i went back to Naima Naca 5. Mogami has more details and is brighter that Naca 5, but Naca 5 has more powerfull bass and sound has more weight, so it depends on your taste what you will use :)

Have you looked at the post cost from USA ??
Its not that bad, then add (subtract) the cost savings of the lower USA pricing, the price is more or less the same (assuming you can get your specific Mogami in Europe)

I bought 20 feet of cable & Neutrik DIN's from RedCo Audio
I saved just under £1 on each of the 10 DIN's compared to UK pricing
The cable is not available in UK, unless maybe if you can find & then beg for it from someone who uses it. But at US$ 0.72 per foot, who cares.
Postage was US$ 12.56
Similar size/weight UK-UK would have been around UK£5

advertisement

Back