advertisement

Modushop orders in 2021 to UK

Yesterday, @laverda posted a YouTube video about unboxing and assembling a Dissipante case, so he may be able to comment.

I got one of their cases last week myself, but I'm in Canada, so not suffering your Brexit woes.

Given you're no longer part of the same trading union as Italy, that would make sense. FWIW, I also paid to import it to Canada.

Sub-Total: 247,20€
FedEx Economy United Kingdom (Weight: 13.85kg): 20,00€
Coupon (060350): -23,72€
Total: 243,48€ (£210 approx)

Order Made 28/02/2021

Had email from From Fedex On 07/03/2021:

"The import charge is estimated to be 57.13 GBP and is due for payment immediately"

I paid and it was delivered a day later.

Group discount worked fabulously thanks to booja30 in this thread which offsets the £10 or so customs fee and 20% import tax.

HTH

Sub-Total: 247,20€
FedEx Economy United Kingdom (Weight: 13.85kg): 20,00€
Coupon (060350): -23,72€
Total: 243,48€ (£210 approx)

Order Made 28/02/2021

Had email from From Fedex On 07/03/2021:

"The import charge is estimated to be 57.13 GBP and is due for payment immediately"

I paid and it was delivered a day later.

Group discount worked fabulously thanks to booja30 in this thread which offsets the £10 or so customs fee and 20% import tax.

HTH

That import tax is a lot less heavy than what I paid for my latest purchase from the UK to Italy.

As Mike Hanson pointed out my Modushop order was much the same as 'muchtoofast'. If there was a UK based company with a similar product we'd all be using them. On a upbeat note, KJFaudio has now been appointed the UK distributor for Ncore so if your in the market for any of their products there's no worry about import duty's or taxes for the UK DIYer. Good news.

if your in the market for any of their products there's no worry about import duty's or taxes for the UK DIYer. Good news.

Import duty will have been paid by the importer. VAT will aslo be paid, as sure as night follows day. Unless the UK importer gets a HUGE bulk buy/trade discount, you will just add another profit into the equation.

That import tax is a lot less heavy than what I paid for my latest purchase from the UK to Italy.

You will pay whatever Italy levies plus an admin' charge, it is that simple and in this case, it sounds like Italian VAT, duty and other charges are larger than UK ones.

There is actually no duties between us and the EU (except in a few circumstances). The VAT which obviously won't have to be paid at source now will be due when the product arrives in the UK at our usual 20%. However, the VAT is chargeable on the whole cost in the commercial invoice, the original purchase price, plus the shipping, plus the customs admin charge which is usually levied at £11.50. That make the tax bill a bit higher than you would expect. If I can bring these in bulk into the UK, I will. It would at least save the customs levy and shipping would obviously be charged at local rates so probably at least £20 saved. We are talking, but like all these things, everyone has to be happy.

Italian VAT is currently 22% it was to have risen to 25.2% in January but the rise has been deferred due to Covid.

There is actually no duties between us and the EU (except in a few circumstances).

I think you mean levies? Anyway, there are many exceptions where they have to be paid, it just happens that they are low compared to VAT, so people tend to ignore them.

VAT is chargeable on the whole transaction, no matter how/where/who pays - and that includes shipping and insurance etc.. Customs admin charge also varies quite a bit depending on who is collecting the money on behalf of HMCE

Duty is paid on things like alcohol and tobacco in the main.

Import duty will have been paid by the importer. VAT will aslo be paid, as sure as night follows day. Unless the UK importer gets a HUGE bulk buy/trade discount, you will just add another profit into the equation.

You will pay whatever Italy levies plus an admin' charge, it is that simple and in this case, it sounds like Italian VAT, duty and other charges are larger than UK ones.

I didn't pay italian charges and duties for my purchase in the United kingdom.
Euro customers shopping in the UK are charged the sum of 3 types of fees:
1) a fixed cost for customs clearance (insanely heavy for small imports);
2) an import tax for items worth more than £.135;
3) a tax equal to 20% of the price paid for the goods.

This will probably all change in July as there will be new centralised VAT in the EU and we may be allowed to join that scheme. That way we can just go back to charging the VAT at source an then just filing for VAT quarterly in both the UK and the EU. It should make it much simpler for consumers still wishing to shop across the border.

I ordered some parts from them in Febuary, got them a week later no extra charges only paid Modshop.

I didn't pay italian charges and duties for my purchase in the United kingdom.
Euro customers shopping in the UK are charged the sum of 3 types of fees:
1) a fixed cost for customs clearance (insanely heavy for small imports);
2) an import tax for items worth more than £.135;
3) a tax equal to 20% of the price paid for the goods.

That is also what I said if you read my posts. The same has only been posted on PFM 1000 times since 1st January.

This will probably all change in July as there will be new centralised VAT in the EU and we may be allowed to join that scheme.

The chances must be very slim indeed. That would constitute a change to the arrangments under the Brexit deal. I never, ever bet, but my money would be that it won't hapen. We left the EU 1st January.

VAT has got nothing to do with the Brexit deal really, it'll be a scheme companies from all over the world can join, (or not) to smooth dealing with the EU as a group of trading nations At the moment for example If I have an EU customer for a product I get drop shipped from inside the EU. My customer pays me without VAT (as we are not in the EU), I pay my supplier and they send it, but because it is going to a consumer, they have to charge me the VAT. Say the supplier is in the Netherlands, for me to claim back that VAT I currently have to be registered for VAT in the Netherlands as well, which I am. It costs money to register and if I have to do this in every country in the EU I have to deal with, it gets expensive and the paperwork each quarter burdensome, centralising the VAT in the EU means only having to be registered one one country, the VAT return gets submitted to them using my NL VAT number and they route the money to/from whichever member state it is due. The new scheme was supposed to be ready during the transition period but the pandemic slowed it down, it is now due in July. It is called the One Stop Shop. There already exists the Mini One Stop Shop for companies providing only digital services via E-commerce. It is definitely happening

advertisement

Back