advertisement

Modifying classic CD players.

hairyderriere

pfm Member
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone here had upgraded/modified their classic CD player with good results? I have a Cambridge Audio CD3 which I fancy toying with.

On that note, has anyone here tried the Net Audio Rock Clock with PSU?

HD.

Well it seems it uses the TDA1541a chip so there'll be loads of mods possible. First one might be converting it to non oversampling, then getting a better clock supply, but check over on the DIY forum

Tim

I have an old Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp .... works like a dream and never misses a beat .... works well with my current amp/speakers

when it does eventually start giving probs, I will seriously think about having it service/upgraded instead of buying a new cd player

I have an old philips with the 1541 DAC.
I bought a replacement for the 7220 chip which converted it to NOS and replaced the clock at once. My jaw hit the floor, the improvement was so good.

I no longer listen to CDs though. Mostly records or music from my computer. The CD player sounds hands down better than lossless ripped files and an onkyo DAC I bought in Japan, but not as good as vinyl.

OP should check out the Lampizator website. Give yourself plenty of time, it's seriously addictive.

Hairyderriere - start this post over on the diy forum - you'll be inundated with suggestions from very helpful people. I've done some mods on my Arcam alpha 5 which has the the 1541a chip, all suggested by diy forum members and they've increased my enjoyment of cd's massively

tim

Hairyderriere - start this post over on the diy forum - you'll be inundated with suggestions from very helpful people. I've done some mods on my Arcam alpha 5 which has the the 1541a chip, all suggested by diy forum members and they've increased my enjoyment of cd's massively

tim

Will do. Ta.

tim

Yes, I use an A5.

I didn't do the modding though.

It sounds quite good.

Rusty, I picked up a Philips CD502 for $6 the other day... I couldn't walk past it at that price. works fine (in fact it's playing through my 252 right now...) and has all that great PRAT that they were always so good at.

What would you recommend I do to it that won't stop it sounding like the CDS1's little brother?

PS - as one would expect, it's no CDS3; it is, however, great fun. It's likely to replace the pioneer DVD for CD duties in the AV system.

advertisement

Back