advertisement

Modifying a Sansui TU-X1 tuner's FM band from japan to worldwide

enjoy_the_music

pfm Member
Hi all

Recently bought a very rare Sansui TU-X1 tuner in japan. Thought it would be ok but then realised it runs on the japanese fm spectrum 70-90!

Any way of changing it easily to the worldwide 88-108 spectrum?

I heard you can change it or buy a fm frequency extender?

Richard

Must be possible. I retuned a Creek 4030 recently and it was simply a case of adjusting an internal pot. Mind in the case of the Creek it had simply drifted out out of spec and wouldn't run lower than 92.

Ask these guys:

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

you didnt buy that crate off ebay did you?

went round at least four times.

The guy did state that it was japanese spec though.

given the complex tuning arrangement on that tuner i doubt it will be easy

to convert.

Might be easier to advertise in japan.

Cheeky...that IS my 'crate' on ebay...

Bought in haste in Tokyo...what an arse!

Yes on both accounts the guys were fraudsters who bought the tuner...one had his account hacked and the other a well known rogue.

This is third time i've had to relist...a real pain.

I got my first quote of £300 today to convert...might do that and relist.

Richard

david ellwood said:
you didnt buy that crate off ebay did you?

went round at least four times.

The guy did state that it was japanese spec though.

given the complex tuning arrangement on that tuner i doubt it will be easy

to convert.

Might be easier to advertise in japan.

this tuner is reckoned by many to be the best, bar none. if you do get it re-aligned for UK use check it out thoroughly before deciding to sell it.

this is funny - here it is almost four years later, and while i am searching the web for tu-x1 pics, i stumble across this thread. i was the buyer of this beast. :>) i had it shipped directly to joseph chow in sacramento, california (i live in maryland), for refurb, mods, and yes - conwersion to 88-108. (and also conwersion to 75us de-emphasis.)

http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/upgrades.html

it ended up being a pretty good deal for me, considering what tu-x1's normally bring. plus, i got refurb & a few mods. :>) for anyone wanting to do a conwersion, joseph said he would never do another one, (or any other analog tuna), unless the customer could live with not having the dial re-done - that was the most difficult part.

the tu-x1 is a fine sounding beast, for sure. but, to be honest, i may still part w/it - my modded refurb'd harman kardon hk 18 is wery close - it may even be its equal. it would take a careful blind a-b test to be sure, that's how close they are.

best to all,

doug s.

this is funny - here it is almost four years later, and while i am searching the web for tu-x1 pics, i stumble across this thread. i was the buyer of this beast. :>) i had it shipped directly to joseph chow in sacramento, california (i live in maryland), for refurb, mods, and yes - conwersion to 88-108. (and also conwersion to 75us de-emphasis.)

http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/upgrades.html

it ended up being a pretty good deal for me, considering what tu-x1's normally bring. plus, i got refurb & a few mods. :>) for anyone wanting to do a conwersion, joseph said he would never do another one, (or any other analog tuna), unless the customer could live with not having the dial re-done - that was the most difficult part.

the tu-x1 is a fine sounding beast, for sure. but, to be honest, i may still part w/it - my modded refurb'd harman kardon hk 18 is wery close - it may even be its equal. it would take a careful blind a-b test to be sure, that's how close they are.

best to all,

doug s.

Hi Doug

Indeed its amazing what info, even old info is still floating about on the net. I have only recently become interested in Japanese tuners, believing that the Leak Trough-Line was better than all of them. I am not so sure about that now.

Over the last few months I have been looking into this, and hope for myself at least, to have an answer as to the LTL tuners true rating, at least in my system and hooked to my aerial.

I would love to hear one of the higher-end Sansui tuners someday, so having a TU X-1 you are very blessed indeed imho, to be able to do that. As to its complexity...yikes...I can well believe doing any service work to it would be a nightmare.

High-End Harmon tuners are rare in the UK or at least that is how it appears as I haven't seen one advertised since starting looking at tuners seriously a year ago.

Regards CL

advertisement

Back