advertisement

Modified SME 3009 ll improved

Lysardman

Hello All,

I have an SME 3009 ll improved fixed headshell, that has had a haevy headshell, like an ADC, forced into the armtube making it considerably heavier than the normal 3009.

Has anyone come across this modification before and do you know if it would now be possible to use the arm with an MC cartridge as opposed to the standard MM cartridge.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Tony

I heard a Sumiko BPS in a fixed shell S2 Imp on a 301 around at Andy 831's at one point and it sounded fine to me. Ok, I had nothing to compare it too, but it didn't sound 'wrong' in any way. I've only ever used an MM in the detachable shell one I have on my TD-124 though. I don't think it's as bad an arm as some would have you believe. Obviously I can't comment on yours as I've no idea about the mod. Mine and Andy's are both completely stock (mine is a very early one with a metal knife-edge bearing).

Tony.

I agree with Tony, and i would say that my 401 sounds so good with sme 3009 that i even dont think about changing the arm, i m using Emt 15 cart.

Ivo

At least you can get it repaired or replace the pipe/shell assembly if you ever need to...

As long as the headshell is firmly fixed to the pipe I'd leave it alone and just make sure that the counterweight is kept as close to the bearing block as possible (SME used to do heavier counter-weights if this is an issue).

Another little tweak I found (which works with the Technics 1200 series arm with the KAB version) is to get SME's FD200 damper unit but fill it with baby oil rather than the goo that was normally supplied. I used to suggest using the smallest paddle and trimming that down to a point - just enough to lightly control the arm and no more....

The final option is to get Audio Origami to look at it (and foam fill the arm-tube for you). This arm was a bit on the lively side, although later ones had a more substantial SME shell with riveted finger lift in place and chunkier headshell wiring.

Hello All,

I have an SME 3009 ll improved fixed headshell, that has had a haevy headshell, like an ADC, forced into the armtube making it considerably heavier than the normal 3009.

Has anyone come across this modification before and do you know if it would now be possible to use the arm with an MC cartridge as opposed to the standard MM cartridge.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Tony

I have a 3009 II imp with an ADC headshell fixed to it, it came with a VMS30 cart', I am using the cart' with my SME 12 on 401 that I am "doing up" the do up has stalled because the combo sounds so nice I don't want to dismantle it for the replinth. Interesting what you say about the BPS Tony I have a BP that I will try.
Errol

I use a standard 3009 S2 Imp detachable head shell ( ADC ) with Fluid damper and Benz MicroGlider Low output mc, sounds jolly dandy to me, even fitted to my "Sonic pup" Michell Hydraulic Reference..a little bit "Bright" maybe but that's all...and no this set up isn't my main one, I just keep it for sentimental reasons, bought it the day my son was born some 33 Years Ago now..built to last you know..

Having an ADC headshell 'forced' into the arm implies that the socket/collet arrangment has been removed ? So. is it now possible to get correct overhang with the headshell back further than designed ?

Hi All,
Thanks for all the information.
Hi-fi dave, I've checked and the headshell is actually just attached as the normal, fixed, SME headshell would be ie held in by the screw under the arm. As far as overhang goes, the 2 slots in the headshell allow quite a bit of forward and backwards movement. I set the whole thing up useing an old HFN test record.
I'm afraid this has become somewhat academic as my phonostage died a fewdays ago.
Any suggestions of a good phonostage that will sound good with my arm/TT whilst playing Classical music through a Quad 303 amp. I can come up with £500 maximum.
Regards to all
Tony

Hello, Tony. The S.M.E. Series II (Imp.) arm is really only designed for "light" pickup cartridges tracking at "light" weights -- 1.5 grams, or below. However, we have one here that I "converted" to take heavy Moving-Coil pickups (like the Denon DL-103R). A "heavy" headshell (Audio technica) was substituted for the "swiss cheeze" S.M.E. original. Worked very well, and I could detect no anomilies from using this heavy headshell.

S.M.E. also make suitably heavy balance weights for this arm and now I am using the heaviest as we have an Ortofon SPU Classic E Mk. 2 pickup plugged into our arm.

The arm here was purchased directly from S.M.E. in 2004 and was a replacement for an earlier S.M.E. Series II (Imp.).

Regarding your gramo. pre-pre-amp. question, I am a D.I.Y. man so I don't know much about "factory-made" amplifiers. However, if your budget can stretch to 600 pounds the Icon Audio PS1.2 seems to be a winner. This pre-pre-amp. received a very positive review in the March 2008 number of "Hi-Fi World" magazine.

Regards,

Terry.

Thanks Terry,

I suspected that the replacement, heavy, headshell would have the effect of increasing the "effective mass" of the arm so allowing me to use an MC cartridge, when I can afford one. I am trying to get hold of the HFNRR test record which will, I hope, allow me to calculate the "effective mass" of the arm from the resonance frequency I find with one of the tracks on the test record.

I found the record for sale at Needles and Spins, ordered it and the cash was taken from my credit card nearly 2 weeks ago. No sign of the record nor reply to my emails. I suspect I'll have to contact my card supplier and get these people to repay, or black-listed, and find another source.

Money-wise £600 for a phono stage is a bit too much at present. I've just been told by my ex-wife that I've got to buy my twin daughters their Prom dresses; £200+ each. I've been looking at the A.N.T Kora 3T M that got a good write-up in Hi-Fi World. I've also found a 166gm SME weight to buy, which will make things a bit easier than the blue-tacked weight I've ot at present.

Regards
Tony

advertisement

Back