advertisement

Modest Mouse

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
I think Ive stumbled across my new fav band.. but I don't know where to start re albums. Any ideas? 'Good news for..' one sounds very interesting snippetwise is this a good one? or is there the 'Slanted & Enchanted' (Pavement ref) obvious one lp heads above the rest as it were? Also heard Johnny Marr is a member now, and they have a US no.1 (shame- looks like Im far too late already on this one, the crap name put me off before I think). They sound like a fine blend of the above (good) Pavement lp and Trumans Water to me.. just my 1st impressions. Captain.

This is what I mean by good Pavement, ie when Gary Young drummed (not that crap washy replacement from Crooked Rain onwards) enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_68xRikG0

Personally, I think The Moon and Antartica is a bloody amazing album, with seriously good lyrics, but think that all their other albums aren't worth getting. But I think that's a fairly uncommon view...

Modest Mouse have a new album released here this week :
"We were dead before the ship even sank", featuring their newest member, the great Johny Marr. Regards, Chris Metcalf.

I only have "Good News for People Who Love Bad News", but it's a really good album. Recommended.

borrowed the MM album from the local library last week(£1.00 for a week:D )
as i had heard the name before,not my cup of tea unfortuneatly(sp) however the razorlight album i also got is v.good

Ah I thought maybe no-one would have any idea- cheers, Ive a couple of lps in mind now.. not sure about razorlight comparison tho!

1. The Moon & Antarctica
2. Lonesome Crowded West
3. Building Nothing Out Of Something

The Moon & Antarctica is more laid back IMO and although it is very good I actually like Good News for People who Love Bad News more. I didn't know there was a new one I will have to check it out.

If your library has Modest Mouse you have a very god library, mine has absolutely crap music choice! Probably about 200 CDs in there max lol.

I really don't know why but Modest Mouse reminds me of Easyworld sometimes and they are also very good so you might like to check them out. This is where I Stand is a good album.

This is what I mean by good Pavement, ie when Gary Young drummed (not that crap washy replacement from Crooked Rain onwards) enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_68xRikG0

I think that Crooked Rain and Wooee Zooee are brilliants - too many stories about Gary and why he's been sucked but nevertheless both of above are the best IMHO the Pavements did.
Waiting to receive my copy of Modest Mouse from amazon.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Most have similar views on Pavement, ie Crooked rain best etc- I just can't fathom this tho. Being an avid fan from 1st skewed singles & 10"s to independent perfection to me (along with Smiths lps) on Watery Domestic & Trigger Cut eps and Slanted.. lp, Crooked Rain was mediocre pap to me. After Gary Young went awol (hugely an orig 3rd) they totally lost the plot/ edge to me becoming a stereotyped lazy slacker band (tho admittedly better than most at that time; a very crap time). I just can't abide any other Pavement lp after S&E '91 even for one song; there's a superb cd of it + eps, b-sides I'd recommened up there with The Smiths (even every b-side is leagues above Crooked Rain onwards). Shoot The Singer!

Thanks for MMouse info, Ive got a few in mind now.

Consider these: Shoot The Singer, an independent gem not even off an album; the 2nd, awful and an album single too.. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=175004838

Man, i am not into Smiths much, i've got all Pavement stuff - i really like them beign lazy though - just played Terror Twilight and it soumds fantasctic - yeah - this is indie pop and yes they'd lost a plot a bit after Slanted.. But they lost it in a good way... Anyway - Clap Your Hands forever :)

Cheers,
Daniel.

I dont expect much concurrence, its just me then on this as usual then but that edge they had early on.. so exciting. Adittedly TerrorT does have Spit On A Stranger iirc, their best song since 1991 Imo (coincidentally GYoung returned from his neverland for that lp) but that shambles style I loathed, like WAY too much dope consumed to me. Only BobM can get away with that contributing as it seemed to his tunes.

Amazon sent me an e-mail saying the new Modest Mouse (which i pre-ordered) would be delayed. Should I cancel and buy eslewhere?

Moon & Antartica is indeed their standout album.

Hey, they admittedly consumed too much of dope on Wowee that Stephen thought that every song will be a radio hit or become a single ... I don't know about Terror but it is at least was produced by Godrich with Greenwood on some parts.. By the way - can't see any presence of GY on this one..

Cheers,
Daniel.

Wowee is brilliant. S&E, Crooked Rain and Wowee are the ones to own and hte rest are kind of meh.

advertisement

Back