advertisement

modern style going way back in turntables.

I have had one of these since 1975 with an SME 3009 S11 improved..looks just beautiful, but sounds sort of ok, need a very firm base to stand on and a thin glass or Perspex Platter atop the weights. I cut the sponge supports off and use a Thin Glass platter, like this it actually sounds very good indeed..the SE was the arm to put on it if you wanted sheer visual grace..they looked like they were made for each other..excellent support from both Michell and Transcriptors themselves...

http://www.transcriptors.net/

These people are true die hard do anything for you enthusiasts, run by the late David Gammon's son I believe, Lovely company to deal with.

Also when you look at what was available at that time, 1971 from Europe and most of Japan, this was a truly ultra modern design, excellently engineered, over this time has only required a belt replacement...it still draws looks of amazement when we have friends around as to its age...and sheer beauty..shame it doesn't sound like the Garrard 401..

Then it's not a very well engineered smiley. ;)

In what way is the Hydraulic Reference not well engineered?? Mine and others are still running reliably with few problems and running well....it is well engineered from a build point of view and has a few design short comings, but design shortcomings are NOT poor engineering..that's poor design, and even that can be argued, as it was never designed to "sound" good in the modern sense, just to look beautiful, work silently and efficiently for a long time given the criteria for a record player of that era..poor sounding maybe, but poor engineering..no way...in fact in some ways it was far better engineered than an early Linn LP 12 my Friend Dave Matcalfe bought some years later, my memory is cloudy but I seem to remember some sort of Motor spring being held in place with a piece of "drill Flash" i.e. a drilling up into the plate and a spring was held in place with the "flash"..now THATS poor engineering..I know we spent some time getting rid of the motor whine, we did it by putting some grease on the spring..

advertisement

Back