advertisement

Modern Funk

mcai7et2

pfm Member
After seeing the Chilis last month, I must have more music, and given that their back catalogue is pretty limited (so, we don't talk about the albums before Mothers Milk) is there anything else in a similar vein about?

Obviously they take heavy inspiration from the likes of James Brown and his contempories, but is anyone else doing that sort of thing now? Audioslave get close, but a lot of the aggression and drive of RATM was (necessarily) lost when they lost Zach andteamed up with Chris Cornell.

Thanks,

Ed

You could try the Quantic Soul Orchestra - updated 70's funk - or maybe John Scofield Uberjam? Don't come crying to me if you don't like them though, cos they are not like the Chillis.

Yeah, I was gonna say Quantic Soul Orchestra too, but the Chilis thing threw me off. If you like Quantic S.O. (v. different to Quantic) check out The New Mastersounds, Breakestra, Yesterday's New Quintet, Sugarman 3, Sharon Jones....

Fishbone, back in the day...
Or how about WAR - a great band from the early 70s.
Another, even greater band is the Isley Bothers in their late 60s / early 70s incarnation.
Ooops. Not modern, but who cares, it's great stuff.

advertisement

Back