advertisement

Mobile Fidelity, ‘One Step’ etc

And from what’s been happening at MoFi and other audiophile labels he probably still is - without realising it. Oh! the irony!

That's funny :) I bet there's more digital in recordings from about 1980 onwards than people ever realise beginning with delay and then reverb.

That's funny :) I bet there's more digital in recordings from about 1980 onwards than people ever realise beginning with delay and then reverb.

Good point and I've wondered about this before. Lexicon 224 was launched in 1979 and must be on thousands of albums. It's not quite the same thing as recording everything in the digital realm. But still...

Good point and I've wondered about this before. Lexicon 224 was launched in 1979 and must be on thousands of albums. It's not quite the same thing as recording everything in the digital realm. But still...

Although, I think the 3-M all digital system came in about 1979 too. Ry Cooder - Bop Till You Drop and Donald Fagen -The Nightfly, were among the first mainstream digital albums.

Dave Grusin 'Mountain Dance' too, and was playing in every room at one Heathrow show that year.

who's going to buy Eagles 'On The Border' then? Now shipping, One Step...

who's going to buy Eagles 'On The Border' then? Now shipping, One Step...

As with S/T and Desperado I've plumped for the SACD version of On The Border and One Of These Nights. Roll on Hotel California and The Long Run! :)

If I spun vinyl I'd probably buy the One Steps as S/T and Desperado have been very well received, but it's a bit of a luxury to buy them for shelf art only! (I do own a turntable but seldom use it due to the laboriousness of vinyl hygiene. When you have cerebral palsy, digital playback is a no-brainer!...

Perhaps it's something intrinsic in the 1/2 speed mastering process that I don't care for (I feel the same about the recent Abbey Road reissues - they're sonically dead).

Mo-Fi abandoned half speed mastering years ago. They just go for that smooth audiophile sound...

Although, I think the 3-M all digital system came in about 1979 too. Ry Cooder - Bop Till You Drop and Donald Fagen -The Nightfly, were among the first mainstream digital albums.

Levitation by Hawkwind and I Can't Stop It by The Beat too...both good albums in my book. Also Toyah and Haircut 100..not quite to my taste.

Interesting, didn’t realise The Beat’s I Just Can’t Stop It was early digital. Must dig it out for a spin.

The first commercial digital recording was Nippon Columbia NCB-7003, "Something" by Steve Marcus, released January 1971.

The first digital communication Bell Telephone Laboratories (BTL) transform voice signals into digital 1936

Agree totally Graham. But look at the majority of what these audiophile reissue houses are putting out - Eagles, Thriller, Santana, Dire Straits, Donald Fagen, etc. These aren't exactly rare records in their original pressings and even in this ridiculous overpriced market, can be found at a fraction of the audiophile reissues (and indeed sometimes, of the bog standard non-audiophile reissues). And for many years, say up to maybe 5-10 years ago, one could still find reasonably priced Strata East, Impulse and later BN pressings (e.g. non-ear pressings, Liberty/UA). That's largely gone now of course.

I think it's important and useful that reissue labels put out otherwise rare and expensive albums. But premium reissue houses e.g. MoFi, Analogue Productions have little interest in doing so. They keep reissuing the same old tired favorites that they know they can sell again to gullible audiophiles. It is left to the smaller non-audiophile oriented guys to do the interesting stuff, i.e. Now Again, BBE, Mr Bongo, Strut, Superfly etc. I was happy to be able to pick up for instance Arthur Verocai s/t album from Mr Bongo. Little chance in hell of finding this one otherwise.

...but the point I was making in response to Hockman’s post was they (Blue Note, Impulse, Strata East, Saturn) are very desirable and very expensive - sometimes reissues/audiophile reissues are the only way to go if we missed out first time around. (I have half dozen or so original Saturns and the sound quality can be very good, but pressing quality is dreadful on all of them)....I think probably most people on these threads dip in and out of the reissue/audiophile reissue/remaster market at will, unwilling to pay daft money for originals and governed by the music. I don’t get the impression that we have die hard audiophile purists here, as evidenced at Hoffman and the likes of Michael45 (although from the sound of it he appears to be changing his views).

This is a great discussion with Bernie Grundman, Ryan Smith, Chad Kassem and Michael Ludwig with many interesting mastering topics covered. Poor Michael and Ryan don't get much airtime though! :D

I've always liked Speakers' Corner reissues. All of their LPs that I have are nice sounding and good enough for me, although I've not done any comparisons. There is no over the top BS marketing verbiage, their pricing has been reasonable and most importantly, they cover a very range of titles rather than the usual audiophile favorites.

Kevin Gray did quite a number of their reissues before he became well-known.

Speakers Corner are too warm and syrupy for me. I’ve had a few albums I know very well pass through e.g. Mingus Black Saint, Coltrane ALS etc, and felt they sounded like what those who do not know any better think valve amps sound like; warm, smooth, polite, laid back, pipe & slippers etc. I’ve still got a few, but I’d swap any of them for US originals or 70s Japanese which capture the life and dynamics of jazz so much better to my ears. My Black Saint is an RVG-stamped US original and sounds amazing. A totally different presentation. That said I can see why folk like the Speakers Corner stuff, they always are nicely pressed and I can imagine might suit a smaller brighter system than mine quite well. I want to be hit by the full-force impact of the drums, brass etc, which goes a long way to explain why I’m such a fan of RVG-cut originals. They kick!

In various media, even including the Washington Post, a discussion has arisen about the non-transparent mastering methods of various audiophile LP labels.
With regard to this, Speakers Corner Records should like to emphasise that all of its nearly 700 releases since 1993 have been produced purely using analogue technology, beginning with the microphone right up to the finished LP. At no time were digital files used or was digital processing carried out.
The only exception is Alan Parsons’ Eye in the Sky, which occupies a unique and special position in their catalogue. Although this album was recorded digitally, it was mixed using analogue technology, and an analogue master tape was created from which our LP was made.
Speakers Corner Records pledge not to alter their commitment to the principle of “pure analogue” in the future
Speakers Corner 30 Years Pure Analogue

pure-analogue | Eine Vinylschallplatte entsteht

Might be interesting to compare the One Step Eagles 'Desperado' against the old Nimbus Supercut pressing... think that's about the only one that overlaps both labels

And Neumann's version was introduced in 1978. As you say, a digital delay has been in the signal on most records since then.

advertisement

Back