advertisement

Mober LP12 motor mods ...help pls

As an update
I have machined a new motor case top plate out of acrilic sheet
and have "potted" the motor in shore A40 grade latex rubber
I decided to retain the carbon fibre body and alloy bottom plate as didn't figure they would make any difference really

Will post some pictures when I work out how.
Will also report any noise benifits if they happen

Have now run the motor up and can honestly say
Great improvement!!
The motor is now silent from 4.6v downward
From looking back at the video I made of it running before mods to after..and re-videoing it ....I would say that at 32v ( the best my bench supply can put out) the motor makes about the same noise as it did at run volts before!!
I will try mounting the motor direct to the top plate and see how that sounds...and also with a sorbothane gasket between it ..
Now how to post those pictures?

It's using less than 1 watt at running speed
Heat not really an issue I think
The motor shaft with the magnet core has a nice alloy pulley on the end rotating out in the breeze...think that can get rid of the next to no heat��
PS
Left it running for 6 hrs continuous at 32v 0.21 amp (over 6.5w) and it showed no sign of even getting warm

OK, interesting. Please remember to be really careful when you replace the pulley. In my experience this is where the damage to the bearing bushes is done and why the motor can become noisy. It is also very easy for the sleeve on the motor shaft to move which then provides too much end float and consequent noise from the commutator area.

I haven't taken our Mober deck apart yet as we're using it for something at the moment, but in some ways there's not much to see. It's just an alloy housing with foam around the motor to isolate it. I also use a very thin strip of plastic across the top which allows for around 2mm of clearance around the motor shaft. The upshot is that it is basically inaudible in the same way that the Radikal is (or should be).

Agreed the brass ring on the motor shaft is VERY easy to move...what I have also found is that endfloat on the shaft is critical to motor noise
I have played around with clearance and basically the absolute minimum without binding seems to be the quietest
I set the float to zero...then with the lightest of taps ... adjust it till it rotates without binding
Then an additional (3mm Allan clamping) collar is put on ... against the brass bush ...and then finally the pulley is eased on

Just a final update for anyone running a mober / DIY DC motor etc who might be interested
I have been living with the "potted" motor and acrilic case mod now for a little while and it has made a sizable reduction in transmitted and audible noise from the little maxon motor
One thing I didn't mention was that I had to cut a small crescent shaped piece out of the mounting flange..so that the speed sensor wires could still pass thought the top plate ...also I did stay with the neoprene gasket between motor flange and top plate...but bolted up very firmly
Would I have changed anything? ...no I'm happy enough with how it ended up
Did it affect the quality of the sound?
Not noticeably..but I hated the sound of the motor noise when I stood near the deck to change the record.
Is the mober a good bit of kit?
Well for the money..( whatever you end up paying depending on whether you buy direct / thought eBay / from Stanford ) I think it makes a noticeable and impressive improvement...and not to have to mess about with strobe discs / silly little motor screw adjustments is worth its weight in gold

Some of you were mentioning removing the pulley from the motor shaft in order to change the motor housing. (the screws which hold the motor onto the Mober top plate are concealed by the pulley). How did you remove the pulley please? I have made an alternative Linn-like housing, but I can't get the pulley off.

Well the pulley virtually fell off on both the motors I had...
There seems to be no means of attachment ie glue or sealer that holds it on
Just give the pulley the lightest of eases up with a suitable screwdriver...and it should fall off
If that doesn't work immediately...I would warm the pulley up gently and try again
Good luck

@vintageaxeman

:D
!!!-BUMP-!!!

Well, we are some years down the track here... long enough I think, to prove the pudding - or otherwise.

I'm currently evaluating cost-effective LP12 PSU/MOTOR options - including AC and DC options - and wondered how the above fishies are travelling with the (upgraded or otherwise) MOBER DC MOTOR KIT.

Did you stick with the MOBER DC KIT?

Still happy?

Any other developments?

Appreciated.

Ahh a blast from the past!

Well yes I stuck with the mober and was very happy with its performance (after the motor mods)
But ultimately I got fed up with the LP12 itself...and moved on to the Rega P8
A match for the linn but without the faff

Ahh a blast from the past!

Well yes I stuck with the mober and was very happy with its performance (after the motor mods)
But ultimately I got fed up with the LP12 itself...and moved on to the Rega P8
A match for the linn but without the faff

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.

What were the MOBER motor mods all about?

It does seem like MAXON DC motors are hard to get right…

What were the MOBER motor mods all about?

Just about making the motor quieter and smoother
They (the maxon motor ) are a bit of a cheap and cheerful design...and need all the help it can get to make it work at its peak....christ knows how they justify the cost
All that said...the Mober kit itself is a great improvement over every other DC motor kit for LP12s ...don't even get me started on that origin live crap

Just about making the motor quieter and smoother
They (the maxon motor ) are a bit of a cheap and cheerful design...and need all the help it can get to make it work at its peak....christ knows how they justify the cost
All that said...the Mober kit itself is a great improvement over every other DC motor kit for LP12s ...don't even get me started on that origin live crap

LOL!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Isn't it funny? ORIGIN LIVE products - particularly their DC MOTOR KIT UPGRADES - seem to have such a polarizing effect on their owners.

Based upon their own empirical ORIGIN LIVE evidence, its either LOVE or HATE. There is no in-between with ORIGIN LIVE owners.

After nearly 20-years, I'm still running our ORIGIN LIVE ADVANCED DC MOTOR KIT and I have to say that when the speed does NOT drift, it is not only the best LP12 I've ever heard, but the best turntable period.

[Granted, it has been hot-rodded in virtually every other area too...]

Trouble is, I haven't found a cure for the speed drift yet. Drives me crazy! But I feel I am getting closer to a fix...

There it is again. That LOVE HATE relationship. :D

You'll not find a cure for the speed drift because there's no feedback employed in that OL psu. Despite claims otherwise. You can add some components to it to achieve a current compensation loop, or just buy the mober.

Still happy with mine

You'll not find a cure for the speed drift because there's no feedback employed in that OL psu. Despite claims otherwise. You can add some components to it to achieve a current compensation loop, or just buy the mober.

Still happy with mine

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Very honestly, the only reason I have hesitated with the MOBER is... The MAXON motor.

So many MAXON motor owners have reported that they have needed to replace or get a different model of modify something.

And when buying the kit new, the seller doesn't want to open the kit to confirm the actual model of the MAXON DC motor.

Here in China, I can't risk having a MAXON DC motor fail on me.

That said, if I invested in the MOBER DC MOTOR KIT and got unlucky, would the MOBER Speed Control Unit happily drive (say) an 18V or 25V PREMOTEC DC motor?

Does anyone know?

advertisement

Back