advertisement

MM upgrade for Pro-ject 1Xpression with 2M Silver, going on Bronze

I would just get new Bronze cartridge as it is the stylus that is 80% or so of the cost? And once you have the new body on that ( upgrade) is sorted for a few years - some are saying just using a the stylus gives you 80% of the performance of the real thing. save up a few more months

Well pleased with the Rega Fono so far !!

However a slight niggle..

Figured it's different topic / new thread so started one here : https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/rega-fono-mm-mkiii-output-level.247047/
Regarding your slight niggle, Fono has none adjustable input sensitivity of 1.7mV for 200mV out, and none adjustable gain of 41.4dB @ 1kHz.

As there appears to be no impedance mismatch between Fono out (200Ω) and Quantum line in (10kΩ, Rega recommend 5kΩ minimum), if you wish to stick with the 'consumer' line inputs on PreSonus you may want to try fitting -10dB attenuators between Fono and Quantum (at the Quantum end of the interconnect).

I had a silver here a couple of years ago. Bit of a weird one. From what I could find out it was special made for ProJect, both ProJect and Ortofon are distributed by the same company, Henley Designs. It was intended to be supplied on ProJect turntables and was not for general sale but the odd one turns up here and there.

Is basically the same as a 2M Red but with silver wire windings instead of copper. I'm guessing to make it a little brighter to better suit the ProJect decks but I don't know. As it doesn't share the stiffer plastic body of the Black and Bronze it's not the same body as those carts, if I remember correctly the wire is different too.

Who knows where the heck it sits in the pecking order. I'm inclined to think it's probably different from the Red/Blue body rather than better or worse but I guess the stylus looks a little better than a red one, if that tickles you.
Ortofon say that red/blue and silver bodies and sylii are all interchangeable. I don't know if the tip profile of the silver is the same as a blue. Maybe someone here does,

My understanding was the Silver stylus was the same as the Red. The only difference between the Silver and Red cartridges is the silver wire windings.
Plus "a special suspension", apparently.

Coil inductance is identical at 700mH, therefore Ortofon likely messed about with the mechanical resonance in order to give Heinz that missing sparkle.

Last edited:
My thread has become rather academic as, on closer inspection, my amber stylus looked rather Cream crackered . So off it came and in with the blue.
Nice. More output. A very nice listen, especially with rock. Interestingly the amber, and presumably also the black, stylus is a very tight fit in the silver body whereas the blue isn't. So maybe very small differences in clearances between the three bodies.

My thread has become rather academic as, on closer inspection, my amber stylus looked rather Cream crackered . So off it came and in with the blue.
Nice. More output. A very nice listen, especially with rock. Interestingly the amber, and presumably also the black, stylus is a very tight fit in the silver body whereas the blue isn't. So maybe very small differences in clearances between the three bodies.
Sometimes the tightness of fit comes down to how many times a given stylus assembly (or body) has been removed/replaced. With the OM derived 2M generator, the main anchors are an interference fit involving the extension of the metal shield within the body as well the inner cylindrical sleeve of the plastic stylus knob (with contains both the ring magnet and cantilever suspension within) fitting into the gap between the 4 x pole pin extensions. The rest is all partridge (peacock?) feathers.

2MBlue-2.jpg

advertisement

Back