advertisement

MM Cartridges to match NA322 iss1

allen6266

pfm Member
Hi All,

Need your recommendations for MM cartridges that best match the naim phono card NA322 (iss1), using pre NAC72/42.5.

My turntable is vintage belt drive Denon.

Looking for low to mid priced cartridges.

Thank you.

allen.

Get yourself going with an AT95e and enjoy.

If you feel the need go for a fancy MM after living with the 95 for a bit.

What model Denon do you have?

Depending upon ones definition of vintage, a BD Denon may be very good or very crap. The later 1980s through '90s certainly took their toll on the quality of entry level Japanese turntables in general.

Another reason for asking is that T4P cartridge mounts crept in on later models and would rule out the excellent VFM AT-95E.

Craig

Currently I have Rega carbon, is it similar to AT95E?

My TT is a Denon SS-730 12d(SL), but I could not find more information or manual for this model, maybe it was built around 70's ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/41kzsgfszsaumgy/20141212_092658.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v4xjelq0539jit/20141129_124819.jpg?dl=0

I am just a beginner for TT, and worry that my cartridge may not match perfectly with the naim phono cards that I have.

Thanks for your replies.

allen.

I should think your Naim will have standard 47K loading and "standard" 220pF or so capacitance and will therefore match any normal MM cartridge.
Personally I would avoid the AT95E like the plague... truly awful!
Also, and no offence intended, your TT looks to me like an ancient entry level model which is unlikely to sound particularly good whatever cartridge you use.... If you are fairly new to vinyl and looking for some of that "analogue magic" well you unfortunately need to spend quite a lot of money to see what all the fuss is about.... or at least spend a middling amount on some second hand classics like a Thorens TD150 with lets say a Rega 250 arm.

I personally have been using an AT95E on my LP12, Ittock and have really enjoyed it with the RSL MM boards through my Naim 72/140/HiCap and will be upgrading to an Aska when I return from my winter break along with KSL MC boards, so I wouldn't discount the AT95E, try and have a listen, when all said and done it's your opinion that matters. At under £30 IMO, it really is worth a listen.

Your Denon SS-730 is indeed from the early 1970s and was a direct competitor of the then budget market leading Pioneer PL-12D.

IOW, it wasn't a bad entry level deck for its time, but, as was intimated above, would be seriously outclassed in a Naim separates system.

Have no fear running it into your Naim MM input though. That is, as long as the deck is working well and the tonearm moves freely, your Rega Carbon (itself a rebadged audio-technica budget model not too far removed from the AT95E) will let you enjoy your records well enough. That is, at least until such time as you decide whether or not you'd care to replace the Denon with the likes of a Rega RP3 (the minimum standard for use with your amp) or better.

In the meantime, I wouldn't recommend pursuing alternative cartridges, as the Denon doesn't warrant such.

Craig

I don't see it being worthwhile until after such time as you upgrade to a turntable and tonearm combination that taxes the system somewhat.

Also, these series 1 cards can be difficult to solder properly without lifting the circuit traces off the board. IOW, you need a very good soldering station and plenty of experience doing board work.

Craig

AT440MLa is fantastic with NA322 (1). Don't know anything about your deck though. And you wouldn't throw much money away buying AT95E. (But what's the difference between Rega Carbon and AT95E?)

Rega Carbon is a rebranded audio-technica AT91 which has a polycarbonate cantilever (hence the name 'Carbon') rather than the aluminum tube of the otherwise identical looking CN5625AL that is sold in North America.

I fail to understand why Rega would have chosen the polycarbonate cantilever variant as, IME, these impart a strange dynamic to the sound, possibly due to the way the solid plastic cantilever flexes/springs back relative to aluminum tube.

Craig

OK Guys, many thanks for your advice & suggestions.

Like I said, I am just a beginner who try to taste the magic of analog disc. Truth is you get what you pay for. Need to spend more money..sigh.

Will start looking for a nice TT once budget permitted.

Cheers!

allen.

advertisement

Back