advertisement

MM cart suggestions.

A better Audio Technica MM would keep a similar overall balance but would sound a bit fuller, more detailed and be more civilized at the top end. An Ortofon Blue or Bronze would probably be a little softer sounding again? I'm guessing a bit as the only two 2M carts I've actually had in my system are the Red and Black. Ortofon carts are generally warmer than AT ones but the 2Ms are quite bright for Ortofon carts.

Just to throw a wild card in, you can still buy new styluses for the Ortofon 500 range. These are the carts which proceeded the 2Ms and, despite being pig ugly, are pretty nice. So the 510 is broadly equivalent to the Red and 540 is what became the Black. However, I personally prefer the 540 MkII to the Black. Slightly less detailed and dynamic but smoother and more coherent. The bodies are all the same so if you can pick up any used 500-series body and buy a new 540 stylus for it (£240) for about say £260 you've got a cartridge which is on a par with the 2M Black at £500. Ok, they look like Lego bricks but sound wise it's up there with the best MM carts you can buy. Big step up in refinement and detail over a 95e.

Just a thought ;0)

Thanks again, I'm going to give a second hand 530 a go. My thought being, I may be happy with that on its own as an upgrade, but if not I can add a 540 mk2 for £240, which still brings it into the price range of the Bronze.

I really appreciate all of the feedback on here.

Another vote here for the Audio Technica VM540ML.

Recently bought a Vertere turntable supplied with a reworked version of the AT520 cartridge. (from what I can see the reworking has involved removing the audio technica logos and replacing with Vertere)

I have just replaced the elliptical stylus with the micro line version and the difference is not small.

Much more detail, deeper bass and generally a much more dynamic fuller sound that is very engaging.

I find end-of-side distortion annoying, so it was a no-brainer to opt for ML. For pure VFM though the elliptical was significantly better than the conical on it's old incarnation for not much more money.

AT VM 95 E or AT VM 95 ML ?what is the best vfm?
I haven’t tried the ML but can only assume that AT have invested time and money on it to better the 95E. I have loved the 95E for over 10 years and at £22 for a replacement cart I think probably the best value cart. However, lately I have felt something is missing and felt a change was needed.

Another vote here for the Audio Technica VM540ML.

Much more detail, deeper bass and generally a much more dynamic fuller sound that is very engaging.

Sorry, new person question here...

I’m just about to push the ‘buy’ button on a Audio Technica VM540ml @ £220, but I’ve realised that a replacement stylus for it is £196. I’m just curious to know why the stylus is so expensive. Does that mean there is more going on with the stylus than there is with the cart?

Sorry, new person question here...

I’m just about to push the ‘buy’ button on a Audio Technica VM540ml @ £220, but I’ve realised that a replacement stylus for it is £196. I’m just curious to know why the stylus is so expensive. Does that mean there is more going on with the stylus than there is with the cart?

I would say that is the case for most cart/stylus prices. And yes, the stylus has the majority of impact from what I have read over the past few weeks. By the fact that a lot of companies use the same cartridge body across their range would suggest this to me. I'm sure there are more knowledgable people on here who can explain further.

Indeed.
I spent a few years with a G1042 and an Eroica LX only to realise what an AT could bring to my records: life and sparkle!

A Reson Reca has that 'life' and 'sparkle' that is lacking in the standard G1042. Reportedly the Roksan Corus Black does too, another modified G1042, although I haven't heard them.

Vintage recommendation here: I went from rather expensive MC to vintage Shure and Pickering MM and never looked back. Any of the Shure V15 series bodies with a new JICO elliptical or SAS. Pickering XV15 or Stanton with the same. The cartridge bodies are reliable. I found my V15 at a garage sale, then purchased a second for small change. My vinyl reproduction with them is extremely good....all I could want, really.

Another intersting point to note between the VM95ML & 95E is that, while on the face of it the cartridge bodies are supposedly the same, the 95Es is made in China whilst the ML cartridge body is made in Japan. So are they actually the same?
TS

To add To Tony's comments above and as a long time 95 E user before.The 95 ML is smoother on High Frequencies and more detailed.Bass lines have texture and the imaging is impressive.
It's a real sweet spot in the 95 range and superb VFM.

Another to throw into the mix is vintage Denon. The DL109 is very good and also the DL8 that can accept a Jico neoSAS. Both fly under the radar but are hidden gems ime.

advertisement

Back