advertisement

MM cart suggestions.

Faux

pfm Member
Well, after a lot of possible changes over the past few weeks I have decided that I am sticking with my LP12; my wife and oldest son convinced me.

We are just about to have another 2 week lockdown here in Wales and I thought that an upgrade from my trusty AT95E may be in order.

I have considered the Ortofon 2m bronze but it is a little too expensive. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ittok 2 arm.

It will be feeding one of the following: Staigeline/Uniti, Nait2 or 62/MM boards

A quality cheaper second hand option is also a possibility.

Lots of love for the VM95-ML here.

I've not heard it but the VM95c and VM95e are very good so I'm inclined to think the ML will be good too. If you like the AT95e you're keeping to the same family sound but getting more detail and refinement. Might not look like much of an upgrade but the new VM carts are good.

An Ortofon is a risk as the sonic signature is a bit different. The 2Ms are actually quite 'AT-like' for Ortofon carts but I'd still take an actual Audio Technica over them

+1 for the VM95ML, if you like the 95E then you will like the ML more. As others have said, more refinement, more detail & less IGD than the 95E. Due to a recent upgrade I have a low mileage one going spare, if your interested drop me a PM.
TS

I really like the VM95C and E with my Valhalla LP12/Ittok LVIII and K9 metal body. I think you will be surprised how much better then new E is compared to the previous version.

The NE is enjoyable too but not as musically coherent to my ears, although it sounds cleaner.

I hope not to offend Tony with his sale offer but I find the ML really boring despite its ability to deliver on all the HiFi stuff - I've tried it several times and always react the same way. But we are all different hence we need to try these things ourselves.

VM540ML is a bit cheaper than a bronze (and much better IMHO).

Last week a very reputable dealer recommended an ATVM540 to me which is his preferred cart at that level (not sure about prices think it's about £220) for LP12. I went with the ATVM740 which is the same cart, bit dearer but metal. The point is I think they're a good match.

I really like the VM95C and E with my Valhalla LP12/Ittok LVIII and K9 metal body. I think you will be surprised how much better then new E is compared to the previous version.

The NE is enjoyable too but not as musically coherent to my ears, although it sounds cleaner.

I hope not to offend Tony with his sale offer but I find the ML really boring despite its ability to deliver on all the HiFi stuff - I've tried it several times and always react the same way. But we are all different hence we need to try these things ourselves.
No offence taken at all, this would be an extremely boring hobby if we all liked the same things.
FWIW I was considering the VM540 as an upgrade to the 95ML but a SH low mileage Goldring 1042 came up which I jumped on. Really glad I did, definitely a decent step up from the 95ML. The only Ortofon 2M cart I've tried is the Silver fitted to the Pro-ject Classic I had. The 95ML was on a different deck so impossible to make a direct comparison but I think the AT is better, maybe the 2M Blue would be a fairer comparison.
TS

No offence taken at all, this would be an extremely boring hobby if we all liked the same things.
FWIW I was considering the VM540 as an upgrade to the 95ML but a SH low mileage Goldring 1042 came up which I jumped on. Really glad I did, definitely a decent step up from the 95ML. The only Ortofon 2M cart I've tried is the Silver fitted to the Pro-ject Classic I had. The 95ML was on a different deck so impossible to make a direct comparison but I think the AT is better, maybe the 2M Blue would be a fairer comparison.
TS

Goldring 1042 series, now you're talking!

Thank you for the replies, I have a 2m Red on my Project Debut 3 in my attic, I like it, which is what got me thinking about the bronze.

I’m not sure about the ML, possibly as I have the 95e and was thinking of a bigger change. I could be wrong.

I would consider a pre loved cart, I was close to buying an MC cart but with the MM stages in my Naim amps it makes sense to stick with MM. Unless there are recommendations of an MC carts that will work with staigeline/Nait2/MM boards.

High output MC cartridges would work but they tend to be bit more expensive - if your are willing to go s/h you may be able to get one within budget - examples include Denon DL-110, DV 10x5 something from Hana etc

My cousin has just put an ML on his deck (a Griffin deck with an ADC arm), it sounds very good... I’m certain his deck is the limiting factor though, I can imagine it sounding properly excellent on an LP12/Ittok.

High output MC cartridges would work but they tend to be bit more expensive - if your are willing to go s/h you may be able to get one within budget - examples include Denon DL-110, DV 10x5 something from Hana etc

This is interesting, I'm definitely happy to look at second hand. Thank you

Ok, this is very much outside of my knowledge base, thus asking on here. The Naim Staigeline N gives an input load 47k ohms//470pf, could any MC and MM recommendations be based on that?

Thank you again to everyone who has answered so far, it is really helpful.

advertisement

Back