advertisement

Mk2 Townshend Turntable Still Rocks

jms1

pfm Member
A seminal purchase back in ‘86 for the princely sum of £280 (complete with Moth RB250 arm) from Peter Ellis Audio in Newark, my Mk2 Rock turntable was the centrepiece of my teenage Hi-Fi system. All that summer work paid off as I poured my savings into the best turntable I could afford at the time.

Fast-forward a few years and I still have it. It holds more sentimental value than anything else and is still capable of spinning my limited 1980’s vinyl collection should the Wi-Fi drop-out. I keep meaning to treat it to a mid-life update but unfortunately it’s too low down on the list of life’s priorities at the moment so it will need to wait a little longer just yet.

The reason for this post though follows a random vinyl purchase which I made from Oxfam for the price of a cup of coffee. I already have the album on CD (now ripped) but nostalgia got the better of me. The particular album was also stamped with ‘Property of CBS, Demonstration Only, Not for Sale’, which made the purchase even more inevitable.

When I got it home I fired up the my Rock and took a trip down memory lane. Once I’d played the whole album (unusual for me given streaming and the propensity to skip tracks or select a playlist) I suddenly thought, how does it sound against its digital self?

A quick A to B comparison followed with astonishing results. The Rock (untouched for 30+ years, with its original belt; original silicone fluid, AC synchronous motor with no Merlin power supply (or DC motor upgrade for that matter); and aged Audio Technica AT-F5/OCC MC cartridge) sounded pretty much on par with its digital facsimile!

If I’m being critical the vinyl sounded ever so slightly coloured and the soundstage a tad less expansive; however, we’re splitting hairs here and I was consciously trying to analyse and detect the differences. The overall pleasure derived from listening to the songs with the volume cranked up was not diminished in that slightest and the turntable sounded great.

I can’t help think that it’s so easy to get all get caught up chasing so called perfection in the vinyl replay chain, without really befitting from the £1000’s spent. Thanks to decks like the Rock however, good quality music replay is readily attainable and the trough is easy so easy to manipulate once you’re used to it.

Now what does need upgrading is my old mini-Mac, as it can’t cope with running Roon and Tidal properly :)

Happy listening.

Current system:
Townshend Rock/RB250/AT-F5 MC
Mini Mac
Devialet D250
Focal Sopra N2

Hi,

Get a better Tonearm, I used my Rock with the old Audio Note arm 3 and it was a joy to own.
Maybe a Audio Origani (you have a Tonearm already that you could send off) or Mitchell Tecnoarm A, both would bring a new lease of life to the deck.

Lovely turntable, still miss mine:(

best of luck

I've still got my Mk2 Rock purchased in late '80s. It's got the Merlin p/s and the Excalibur arm. I used to run it with a Koetsu Black but my toddler son decided that bit hanging down at the bottom was no longer required! Unfortunately the cost of replacing it is now prohibitive (to me at least).

Anyway the Rock still sounds pretty damn good to my ears, even with a cheap and cheerful cartridge on it.

Enjoy the music!

I've still got my Mk2 Rock purchased in late '80s. It's got the Merlin p/s and the Excalibur arm. I used to run it with a Koetsu Black but my toddler son decided that bit hanging down at the bottom was no longer required! Unfortunately the cost of replacing it is now prohibitive (to me at least).

Anyway the Rock still sounds pretty damn good to my ears, even with a cheap and cheerful cartridge on it.

Enjoy the music!

Ouch! My youngest when a toddler decided the Hadcock tonearm was a light sabre, needless to say the WB ply MC did not survive the battle against Darth Vader.

Hi,

Get a better Tonearm, I used my Rock with the old Audio Note arm 3 and it was a joy to own.
Maybe a Audio Origani (you have a Tonearm already that you could send off) or Mitchell Tecnoarm A, both would bring a new lease of life to the deck.

Lovely turntable, still miss mine:(

best of luck

Thanks for the advice. As it happens I’ve actually got a mint Michell Tecnoarm which I bought 3 or so ago. I just need to get round to fitting it :)

Well then you have the same arm again slightly fettled!

Good choice actually, I have a J7 fettled RB250 on my Rock which is probably much the same in performance.

Key upgrades are the wiring and the Michell VTA adjuster, both of which are on the tecnoarm as standard.

The only possible thing I'd possibly swap for is one of the better Alphason arms (HR100S or Xenon) and even then they'd need a full J7 rework to make me happy.

What you can usefully benefit from is a TT PSU upgrade.

The original Merlin works well but is likely to need a full service these days (just done one for a mate of mine).

Also Linn Lingo (what I have on mine) or PTtoo ac PS will provide similar benefits, though both need a bit of McGuivering to make them work.

Slightly less good is the Heed but "drop in".

Good point! It was Guilty by Streisand, released in 1980. Nice gatefold album in superb condition for its age.

Ace album, 'Woman In Love' sounds superb on that record, nice production.

I can't reach the high notes, but I like trying.

I had mine from '86 until 2009 IIRC, the while with the excalibur arm, and ortofon MC30 supreme and always with the trough ofc. Never did have a Merlin. The only thing I changed (took it down to Kew to let Mr T at it) was a new power switch. No idea if it's still running but loved that 'master tape' sound.

Long time Rock II and Excalibur user here.

Heed Orbit2 PSU, retrofitted seismic suspension and 3mm Funk Achromat - all an improvement on an already stonking deck.

advertisement

Back