Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mission PCM 7000 repair

Discussion in 'classic' started by Dowser, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Bought this a while back, sold as faulty, I paid a bit more than I wanted (CHF 90.-), but I've always wanted to listen to one since repairing them when working for Lasky's service department (and never being able to afford one :)) - it's a bisic Philips machine with a dedicated Mission output stage/PCB.

I was expecting something simple, but loads of repair shop stickers on the back of it rang alarm bells. Damned thing had 4 seperate faults, like it had been used as a parts donor for other repairs...but strange given it's a higher end player.

1. Mech loading tray gear broken
    2. Mech to control panel wires broken within the Philips connector
    -- For these 2 I just swapped in a mech from a lowly CD-1006 I got for CHF 10.- a while back
    3. DAC/Servo PCB to control PCB connectors wires broken at both ends causing multiple intermittent problems
    -- I've heard of these issues before, but never experienced them - the solid core wire snaps within the insulation by the connector. See below - pain in the ass, but quite straight-forward to strip and re-terminate :)
    4. Short circuit BC818 12v supply to servo surface mount transistor
    -- Stolen from CD-1006 :)

God alone when this thing was last played, or the state of the caps - but it's functional again and sounds pretty damned good - really hard edged & detailled bass so far after 30 mins, interested to see how it develops.

I wanted to try a few machines with different output stages, as I intend to experiment with both a valve output stage and a very simple transistor buffer output stage to try and understand what makes a player good. This one is a target for a TDA1541A chip, replacement decoupling TDA caps (uses the stock Philips low end SMTs currently), and /B 7220 :)

Wow - it just snapped into focus after 45 mins - as good as my CDI? No, clearly not, but I don't feel so bad about the 5 hours its taken me get this damned thing back to life now - great imaging, detailed bass just let down a bit by top end. Need to recap I think.

Has anyone else heard a Mission PCM 7000?

Piccies

Best display of any CD player? I like it
    [​IMG]

Short circuit (base-collector) transistor
    [​IMG]

In bits after finally getting it working (missed photo of deciated output PCB, sorry - but just using standard Philips PSU 5v and +/-15v rails, sure dedicated rails would help)
    [​IMG]

Careful re-termination of Philips connector
    [​IMG]
    Shit picutre of done, sorry
    [​IMG]

Richard

2. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Philips inside yes. Those connectors are so easy to repair. Very nice.

3. Darren

Darren Murder City Devil

Nice!!
    I own one of these in full working order...... it isnt as resolving as my modern dac/transport but very listenable and fun to have in my rack with its huge display.

4. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

A PCM7000 was my very first CD-P, bought new in the late 80s. It almost put me off the format. I just couldn't get used to the edgy and highly fatiguing sound.

5. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Strange how we hear different things - this for me has the fluidity of a TDA1541, and a nice hard edged/detailed mid-range/bass. My CDI is much better of course, but I could live with the Mission too.

6. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I had an LP12/Ittok then and the difference between vinyl and CD was stark. It is much less so now with a Densen B-440XS. There was something that sounded rather contrived to my ears when I first heard the PCM7000, which I attributed to the format.

7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

It’s interesting how people react to early CD players.
    In Westwood & Mason ( Oxford ) I heard a Yamaha X1, sometime in the ‘80s.
    I was immediately impressed by the sound.

I’m always suspicious of being very impressed at the beginning.
    After a while it was ‘difficult’ to listen to on some music.
    In the end I went for a similarity priced Sony model ( model number forgotten ) which stayed
    for years.

I then bought an Arcam Alpha CD player.
    Now that was a very good move...

8. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

The first CD player I ever had was rented.... then my flatmate went out and bought one of these PCM7000's - it was quite the thing in the press at the time. He loved it and kept for a good number of years until he swapped his entire system for a big stack of Cyrus. I was a bit less enthralled by the Mission. A bit hard edged for my taste I seem to remember.