advertisement

Mission PCM 7000 repair

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
Bought this a while back, sold as faulty, I paid a bit more than I wanted (CHF 90.-), but I've always wanted to listen to one since repairing them when working for Lasky's service department (and never being able to afford one :)) - it's a bisic Philips machine with a dedicated Mission output stage/PCB.

I was expecting something simple, but loads of repair shop stickers on the back of it rang alarm bells. Damned thing had 4 seperate faults, like it had been used as a parts donor for other repairs...but strange given it's a higher end player.

1. Mech loading tray gear broken
2. Mech to control panel wires broken within the Philips connector
-- For these 2 I just swapped in a mech from a lowly CD-1006 I got for CHF 10.- a while back
3. DAC/Servo PCB to control PCB connectors wires broken at both ends causing multiple intermittent problems
-- I've heard of these issues before, but never experienced them - the solid core wire snaps within the insulation by the connector. See below - pain in the ass, but quite straight-forward to strip and re-terminate :)
4. Short circuit BC818 12v supply to servo surface mount transistor
-- Stolen from CD-1006 :)

God alone when this thing was last played, or the state of the caps - but it's functional again and sounds pretty damned good - really hard edged & detailled bass so far after 30 mins, interested to see how it develops.

I wanted to try a few machines with different output stages, as I intend to experiment with both a valve output stage and a very simple transistor buffer output stage to try and understand what makes a player good. This one is a target for a TDA1541A chip, replacement decoupling TDA caps (uses the stock Philips low end SMTs currently), and /B 7220 :)

Wow - it just snapped into focus after 45 mins - as good as my CDI? No, clearly not, but I don't feel so bad about the 5 hours its taken me get this damned thing back to life now - great imaging, detailed bass just let down a bit by top end. Need to recap I think.

Has anyone else heard a Mission PCM 7000?

Piccies

Best display of any CD player? I like it
51789956818_25855a5e82_k.jpg

Short circuit (base-collector) transistor
51790210859_c09734dccc_k.jpg

In bits after finally getting it working (missed photo of deciated output PCB, sorry - but just using standard Philips PSU 5v and +/-15v rails, sure dedicated rails would help)
51789831131_b0e3d4f2a4_k.jpg

Careful re-termination of Philips connector
51788892967_2b41bbcc66_k.jpg

Shit picutre of done, sorry
51789831146_be1a51ff99_k.jpg

Richard

Nice!!
I own one of these in full working order...... it isnt as resolving as my modern dac/transport but very listenable and fun to have in my rack with its huge display.

Has anyone else heard a Mission PCM 7000?
A PCM7000 was my very first CD-P, bought new in the late 80s. It almost put me off the format. I just couldn't get used to the edgy and highly fatiguing sound.

A PCM7000 was my very first CD-P, bought new in the late 80s. It almost put me off the format. I just couldn't get used to the edgy and highly fatiguing sound.

Strange how we hear different things - this for me has the fluidity of a TDA1541, and a nice hard edged/detailed mid-range/bass. My CDI is much better of course, but I could live with the Mission too.

Strange how we hear different things - this for me has the fluidity of a TDA1541, and a nice hard edged/detailed mid-range/bass. My CDI is much better of course, but I could live with the Mission too.
I had an LP12/Ittok then and the difference between vinyl and CD was stark. It is much less so now with a Densen B-440XS. There was something that sounded rather contrived to my ears when I first heard the PCM7000, which I attributed to the format.

It’s interesting how people react to early CD players.
In Westwood & Mason ( Oxford ) I heard a Yamaha X1, sometime in the ‘80s.
I was immediately impressed by the sound.

I’m always suspicious of being very impressed at the beginning.
After a while it was ‘difficult’ to listen to on some music.
In the end I went for a similarity priced Sony model ( model number forgotten ) which stayed
for years.

I then bought an Arcam Alpha CD player.
Now that was a very good move...

The first CD player I ever had was rented.... then my flatmate went out and bought one of these PCM7000's - it was quite the thing in the press at the time. He loved it and kept for a good number of years until he swapped his entire system for a big stack of Cyrus. I was a bit less enthralled by the Mission. A bit hard edged for my taste I seem to remember.

Yes I remember the PCM7000, it was sharp and hard. People were wowed. I couldn't afford one, wouldn't have shelled out if I could!

Still, a great project, well done for resurrecting one.

In 1987 the PCM7000 was my second CD player - after a Phillips CD104. Not bad for a University student...

My brother had a holiday job in a Leicester Hi-Fi shop - got the PCM7000 for what I think was a decent discount -£399 (were they about £599 new?)

I liked the PCM7000 - had a Cyrus 1 amp (so plenty lively).

Do you have the remote? The remote was a quite nice metal cased job and had remote volume.

When bitstream came out I bought the DAD5 / DAC5 combo (was smoother but boring compared to the PCM7000).

The PCM7000 is long gone but I found the manual and warranty card recently...

...sold the manual and card for about £15 on a well known auction site!

Have mine from 1987 still in use ,not as sharp as my audiolab cd player but love the large display on it

advertisement

Back