advertisement

Mission 775

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Picked up a Mission 775 with mission arm today...very grubby but cleaned up all right. Local ad on fb market place "found all this hi fi in my cellar..free to collecter" Also a Sony mosfet amp TA 5650, Nakamichi LX1, and a pioneer XC L7 set up with cd, cassette and sub woofer....lots of fun

Interesting, thread needs pictures, obviously! The 775 is the one with the dreaded nextel finish isn’t it? Hopefully not turned into sticky goo. The 774 arm is very good, many fans here e.g. Rob.

The Sony TA 5650 is one of the V-FET models and worth proper money. Be very careful of it as if you blow an output device it’s instantly a parts machine as you’ll never find another to replace it. I’d definitely service it before trusting it.

Picked up a Mission 775 with mission arm today...very grubby but cleaned up all right. Local ad on fb market place "found all this hi fi in my cellar..free to collecter" Also a Sony mosfet amp TA 5650, Nakamichi LX1, and a pioneer XC L7 set up with cd, cassette and sub woofer....lots of fun

You jammy bugger!:)

Different deck to what I was thinking of. The arm is a 774LC, basically a rebadged Jelco that turned up on a fair few decks of that era (Revolver, AR etc). I know nothing about the turntable, not sure I’ve even seen one before! Is it a glass platter?

I removed the belt and washed it carefully in warm water, it had a white powder on it which I think was corrosion off the platter.

May have been chalk. There was a fashion for a short while of coating belts with chalk, which was a great way of getting chalk everywhere in the deck and motor for no apparent reason. My Ariston RD80 actually came with a pot of it IIRC.

....and it works...sounds pretty damn good !!! cart output quite low though compared to my Shure M55 on the gl75..

It works... by Michael Pratt, on Flickr
Nice haul, Mike!

The reason that your phono level is so low is because that is an audio-technica MC, either an AT30E or an AT31E. The interesting thing about these is that, despite being MC, they have user replaceable stylus assemblies.

Depending upon which one it is, nominal tracking force is either 1.5g (AT31E) or 1.7g (AT30E). I'd go with 1.7g regardless. In either case, compliance is high enough that the Jelco OEM tonearm is a good match.

Craig

Last edited:
The Nak BX-1 will likely suffer from dead-spotted reel and cam motors, and a bad record/play relay. If it does not have the later gear drive its rubber idler will need replacement, a common o-ring, lightly sanded, does the job. All common problems, easy to solve if you frequent the right forums. The capstan belt may or may not be good. The only valid replacement these days is FRSP6.5 from http://www.electronicsupplycorp.com/, with a SCY6.5 or 6.7 for the counter.

The Sony amp is now lashed up and works fine...volume pot needs some switch cleaner.
The Nak also works mechanically, play, ffwd and rwd. I'll try it for sound shortly.

If you don't like Nextel as a finish, don't poo poo it - just remove it. Here is one of my original Systemdeks III without the Nextel finish - took about 45 minutes (still to be varnished...)

51493644645_15080619cd_k.jpg

Nice haul, Mike!

The reason that your phono level is so low is because that is an audio-technica MC, either an AT30E or an AT31E. The interesting thing about these is that, despite being MC, they have user replaceable stylus assemblies.

Depending upon which one it is, nominal tracking force is either 1.5g (AT31E) or 1.7g (AT30E). I'd go with 1.7g regardless. In either case, compliance is high enough that the Jelco OEM tonearm is a good match.

Craig

Have an AT31E tucked away, very nice sounding cart as I recall.

If you don't like Nextel as a finish, don't poo poo it - just remove it. Here is one of my original Systemdeks III without the Nextel finish - took about 45 minutes (still to be varnished...)

51493644645_15080619cd_k.jpg
Bet it sounds great with that 774 imp on too! Is that an AT30E or AT31E on the end there, also?

Mike's 775LC appears to be in Hammerite grey.

I have an original AT30 Head, with two x 30 and one x 31 styli. Cannot discern any real difference between them, but my other Systemdek III is fitted with a Syrinx PU3 and definitely sounds more refined than the Mission 774 with the AT31 fitted (currently being rewired by me using Cardas copper wire instead of the van Den Hul silver wire I used since 1990 - a pain to do, but not impossible with a bit of thought)

advertisement

Back