advertisement

Mission 770

I've only just managed to get them set up for a listen using the Sony TA-F770ES that I got them with and they are better than I was expecting. Very crisp and clear but also a full and effortless sound that fills the space. They work very nicely with the Sony amp.

Anyone help with which version? They have the higher tweeter of type 2 but also bottom panel of type 1.

Mission770.jpg

770panel.jpg

I auditioned a pair in
a HiFi showroom in
the early 80's.

Nasal quacky sound
I put down to the
bassmid plastic cone.

Ended up with a pair
of Celef SPTs, lovely!

They look the same as mine which I believe are MkIII. Very nice speaker. If you bypass the fuse they sound a good bit better still...

Thanks for that. The seller said he had been told they were mk III but the sockets in the bottom made me think they were mk I. End of the day it doesn't really matter as they do suit my tastes and I may have to find a permanent spot for them.

Those are the mk2 for sure and that is the correct connection panel.
It's a pity the yellow spider has discoloured as you can clearly see it through the the cone.

There seems to be a problem with the link. I get an error.

Are they fussy with placement? I have them with lots of space just now but if I'm going to get away with keeping them in use I'll need to have them close to a wall. There is already a nice full low end and I'm worried that it'll get boomy against the wall.

The 770 was top of the mission tree in about 1981 when i bought the 700 model which was at the bottom.
The 700 cost me £89 at Laskys in Bristol.

From memory there were two models in between something like the 707 and 737??

The 770 was highly acclaimed and was then way out of my price range at something like £400plus.

All had foam grilles that secured with little hook pads.

Laskys !!!. Those were the days.

There seems to be a problem with the link. I get an error.

Are they fussy with placement? I have them with lots of space just now but if I'm going to get away with keeping them in use I'll need to have them close to a wall. There is already a nice full low end and I'm worried that it'll get boomy against the wall.

They need to be well away from walls.... like all good speakers!

I still reckon they're MkIII's but wow and flutter seems more certain than I am about it.... They are the same as my own (from memory) and I've always believed them to be MkIII's but I ain't going to look for them just to check the fine details I'm afraid...

Try this Link, showing the original termination. Cut and paste if it doesn't work

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/wowflutter1201/media/DSCF3582_zps09491872.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3

Mission never described the white baffled 770 as a mk1 or mk2 just an evolution of the original.
New baffle with higher tweeter, larger port, new connection block and larger bass driver voice coil ( although the bass drivers had the same part number!) are the identifiers of which pair you're looking at.
As far as I can remember the 770S was the first with an upgraded designation and then the 770 Freedom ( both with grey baffles and rear connections )
I'm sure I still have the original sales brochure somewhere which involved some inventive descriptions of all the 2nd generation products ( amplifiers, tone arm, turntable and loudspeakers)
They were hugely popular in the late 70's with sales boosted by some great reviews, but like all kit , loved by some and loathed by others!

Thanks for the link and it is not that panel so would appear to be a mkII.

As well as sounding good there is not a mark on them so I have had a lucky find considering that I was only after the amp.

Whichever Mk those are they have the higher tweeter and what looks like the later poly dust cap.
So we can safely say 'a late production 770'.

Look ace and identical version to mine.

Re comments of nasal mids, get them up on highish stands - about 50cm - and don't be tempted to use them on low trolley type stands as originally popular. Low stands put a large suckout in the crossover region and they become very 'nosey' indeed :)

I always liked the 737's.....

That's effectively a slightly smaller box 770 with less good tweeter.

Re comments of nasal mids, get them up on highish stands - about 50cm - and don't be tempted to use them on low trolley type stands as originally popular. Low stands put a large suckout in the crossover region and they become very 'nosey' indeed :)
Good point, that is exactly the problem I had with my KEF Celeste IVs

Good point, that is exactly the problem I had with my KEF Celeste IVs

David,

I think we have to remember that back in those days good phase integration was a lot trickier to achieve than today, and the equipment required to do it properly extremely bulky and expensive. Certainly in the case on Mission in the 1970s they were a 2 man band. It will have likely been some rough calculations and listening trial and error.
Today you can fire up a laptop and sound card achieving results in minutes that would have taken weeks if not months back in the day.

That's effectively a slightly smaller box 770 with less good tweeter.[/QUOTE]

Depends. The first version used the ubiquitous 19 mm Polyamide device, which is most certainly "less good" than most, but the later ones used a 25mm Peerless fabric dome, which is a very nice tweeter, also used by ARC and M-S.

The later 737 Renaissance was a far nicer speaker than the contemporary 770 Freedom.

At that time (1988), the pick of the crop were the 70.2, 737R and 780 Argonaut.

The dogs were the 700 LE, 707 and 770F.

advertisement

Back