advertisement

Mission 753 Speakers - Amplifier Recommendations please?

Copperjacket

pfm Member
Good morning

I have bought a pair of 753's with a view to putting together a budget system for my teenage son.

I am looking for recommendations for a suitable amplifier please?

Many thanks

They are an easy 6 Ohm impedance and reasonably efficient so anything from about 30W chip based amplifiers will be suitable

I'd plump for the
ROTEL RA-930BX[/B][/SIZE]... cracking little amplifier for the money.

Great little amp, I had one of these in the early nineties and used Mission speakers, though a mate had the 753 and the Audiolab 8000a which was a great combo

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Great little amp, I had one of these in the early nineties and used Mission speakers, though a mate had the 753 and the Audiolab 8000a which was a great combo

Totally.. both would make an excellent choice. I'm a big fan of the old Audiolab, pre China. I just find that proper warming up is more critical with them than other amps, to hear them at their best. I went for the Rotel purely on the value for money, incredible bang for your buck.

Thank you all for the recommendations.
The Audiolab is a surprise as I tried one with my original 753s back when they were both current and it was not a pairing I liked. Back in the day I used 2 or even 4 bridged Rotel 971s so my recollection was that they needed something beefier?

[QUOTE="Arkless Electronics, post: 3814470, member: 16103"]Pretty much any amplifier will work fine.[/QUOTE]

Getting a bit sick of this mantra. Hooking up olive Naims to original 753's will have you running for cover.

The original 753's, inexplicably, run the tweeters several dB too hot. Curing that is as simple as soldering in larger value resistors.

In stock form, however, the bright balance makes them unsuitable for some amps, such as the aforementioned Naims, and, amusingly, a Cyrus 2 connected with Mission's own solid core speaker cable.

Smoother sounding amps such as the Audiolab and Rotel mentioned should be fine. I'd add Denon to that list as well. LFD's work beautifuuly, but they're probably well outside the budget.

There seems to be production variation in the 753 crossover and/or tweeter sensitivity.
Measure your pair before assuming that all Internet comments apply to you

You are quite right, David, as regards the crossover. I have found 1 ohm, 0.5 ohms and nothing at all in various 753's. Must confess I didn't measure all the tweeters, but for one pair of 753's I did, and yes there was a small difference, so I ended up with different resistor values in each speaker, from memory I think 2.7 and 3.3. Generally, around 3 ohms gives the appropriate balance.

advertisement

Back