advertisement

Missing cheque - or is it ?

An update. After having raised a compliant with BoS I got called today* to say that the cheque has been paid in to a business account that had no similarity to my name or my sort/account number; the person who did this will receive 'training'. So those who think this is impossible will now have to reevaluate the banking community - I'm one of them !

I'm negotiating compensation based on the 14 weeks or so since it happened, the blanket stonewalling of BoS, and the seemingly lack of understanding of the tools that BoS has to track errant cheques through their system. I wonder if this sort of thing gets a bank fined - anyone know ?

CHE

PS *do others enjoy callers squirming once asked to prove their identity over the phone ? I love it !

Glad you got it resolved. Perhaps someone is keying in the cheques manually and transposed account digits ?

Glad you got it resolved. Perhaps someone is keying in the cheques manually and transposed account digits ?

I asked about the details of the error and suggested it was a transposed number(s) close to my sort code/account but apparently it's TOTALLY different ! Yes, a human involved and presumably they got confused about which account it should go in, but it went in a business rather than a personal account and in a totally different name at a different bank; quite remarkable. And of course for over 3 months the bank denied any responsibility.

CHE

I asked about the details of the error and suggested it was a transposed number(s) close to my sort code/account but apparently it's TOTALLY different ! Yes, a human involved and presumably they got confused about which account it should go in, but it went in a business rather than a personal account and in a totally different name at a different bank; quite remarkable. And of course for over 3 months the bank denied any responsibility.

CHE
You should certainly press for compensation - 3 months is a long time to be denied what might be a significant sum of money. And I would look at what options you have for making a complaint to the regulatory body which oversees your bank. Why don’t you ask them who that is? Simply asking the question might motivate them to negotiate more meaningful compensation.

Final update. I've just agreed £200 compensation with the bank having rejected a lower offer they were "unlikely to increase". They still consider it a "human error" that needs individual training rather than a system that is capable of putting your cheque in to another person's account who's name is totally different than yours.

No matter, I'll spend the dosh on something frivolous and enjoy doing it.

CHE

Cheques have been abolished in our country. All in the drive of making more profit: The Australian and New Zealand banks have the highest profit returns in the world.

Cheques have been abolished in our country. All in the drive of making more profit: The Australian and New Zealand banks have the highest profit returns in the world.
Seems like we have a way to go in UK. 2 days ago I needed more cash than I could get out of an ATM from an on line account so popped int their sister bank on the high st. 'Full service' they proclaimed. I was told that the only way they could do it was if I had a cheque book......

Seems like we have a way to go in UK. 2 days ago I needed more cash than I could get out of an ATM from an on line account so popped int their sister bank on the high st. 'Full service' they proclaimed. I was told that the only way they could do it was if I had a cheque book......

That makes no sense, I have got large amounts out just with a debit card multiple times but at my own bank admittedly. There is nothing on a cheque that is not available from a debit card.

Big amounts go by direct transfer from the computer: go to the bank, lift the withdrawal limit (two identifications needed besides the bank pass), give the teller the recipient name and bank details and then enter the online password and having two factor authentication enter that too when it comes through on hte mobile phone. That's how we paid for the house.

I wasn’t buying a house, just needed an extra few hundred. Easy solved by using another bank account. Just so funny that, even over the counter they would only allow the daily withdrawal limit unless you could write them a cheque.

A couple of years ago I needed to cash a check for a largish sum. The bank counter staff made a huge fuss about giving me my own money before eventually agreeing to hand it over : they made me feel like a criminal:eek:. The bank has now closed all its counters and switched entirely to machines/terminals with a couple of staff just wandering about on the shop floor, and there is now way to cash a cheque if you need a sum which exceeds your card limit.

advertisement

Back