advertisement

Missing cheque - or is it ?

CHE

pfm Member
I put two cheques via a single envelope in a Bank Of Scotland nightsafe and then got a letter to say one was missing; the other was cashed to my account. I went back to the issuer, HMRC as it happens, and they tell me it's been cashed but so far won't give me details of which account/sort code. Needless to say HMRC won't issue another cheque and BoS say it's not their problem. I've raised complaints with both parties and feel the problem is with BoS, but they aren't exactly helpful - who knew !

Anyone been through something similar who could give advice on a way forward please ?

CHE

I put two cheques via a single envelope in a Bank Of Scotland nightsafe and then got a letter to say one was missing; the other was cashed to my account. I went back to the issuer, HMRC as it happens, and they tell me it's been cashed but so far won't give me details of which account/sort code. Needless to say HMRC won't issue another cheque and BoS say it's not their problem. I've raised complaints with both parties and feel the problem is with BoS, but they aren't exactly helpful - who knew !

Anyone been through something similar who could give advice on a way forward please ?

CHE
Are you quite certain that the "missing" cheque hasn't been credited to your account, despite what BoS say?

Even if it's been lost or stolen somewhere along the line, it would be surprising if someone had managed to pay it into an account not in your name. Money laundering and anti fraud regulations mean that banks these days won't generally credit cheques to other than a named payee's account, even if supposedly endorsed to a third party by the payee. My bank certainly won't

My 16 year old won 25 quid on the bonds which they sent as cheque it’s blown his mind how caveman it is.

How I pay cheques in on the very rare occasions I receive them:

On my iPhone, HSBC app. A few details, two photos, done. Hasn’t failed me so far.

How I pay cheques in on the very rare occasions I receive them:

On my iPhone, HSBC app. A few details, two photos, done. Hasn’t failed me so far.

I had a tax refund from Inland revenue that the cheque software on my NatWest app could not read, had to visit the post office.

Are you quite certain that the "missing" cheque hasn't been credited to your account, despite what BoS say?

Even if it's been lost or stolen somewhere along the line, it would be surprising if someone had managed to pay it into an account not in your name. Money laundering and anti fraud regulations mean that banks these days won't generally credit cheques to other than a named payee's account, even if supposedly endorsed to a third party by the payee. My bank certainly won't

Definitely not be credited - bank says so. And I agree, you shouldn't be able to cash it unless you open an account in my name, but HMRC are adamant it has - I have it in writing.

a member of your household is sleight of hand, possibly

How so ? I put the cheques in the envelope, sealed it and it was put in the nightsafe via a PostOffice.

Again, has anyone any experience of a similar situation that they resolved please ?

CHE

As you deposited the cheque with BoS, and HMRC have told you in writing the cheque has been cashed, it seems plausible there's been an error on the part of the bank.

You said you've complained to both parties. If you haven't done so already make formal complaints in writing. If the issue hasn't been resolved after eight weeks you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman.

There may also be some value in raising your complaint to HMRC with the Adjudicator's Office.

Take all the paperwork along to your bank and show it to the bank manager and tell him it NEEDS sorting.
Threaten them with talk of Ombudsmen if they are obstructive or unhelpful.
If HMRC say it's been paid I'd tend to believe them, in my experience they are always fair and honest.
They've no reason to be otherwise.

Andy

Presumably HMRC will know which account the cheque has been cashed to. (They probably won't tell you, but they should share that information with your bank). And if it isn't an account registered in your name, they should be able to query or rescind the transaction, especially if fraud or theft is suspected.

As you deposited the cheque with BoS, and HMRC have told you in writing the cheque has been cashed, it seems plausible there's been an error on the part of the bank.

You said you've complained to both parties. If you haven't done so already make formal complaints in writing. If the issue hasn't been resolved after eight weeks you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman.

There may also be some value in raising your complaint to HMRC with the Adjudicator's Office.

Thanks Paul, the sort of information I was after. I did got to my BoS branch but otherwise being told whet the process is once a cheque is in the nightsafe (useful) they wanted to wash their hands of the affair.

Presumably HMRC will know which account the cheque has been cashed to. (They probably won't tell you, but they should share that information with your bank). And if it isn't an account registered in your name, they should be able to query or rescind the transaction, especially if fraud or theft is suspected.

Indeed, they don't want to tell me at present. I've written to HMRC and provided the evidence of the cheque not being cased in to my account (the other was of course) and asked them to provide account numbers etc. The issue with all of this is that HMRC have a 4>8 week turnaround, similarly for the bank complaint. I suspect I'll go back in to the branch when I'm next that way but they'll probably fob me off given that I have a complaint reference number.

Sounds like nothing else I can do but wait ?

CHE

advertisement

Back