advertisement

misheard lyrics thread

Bob Seger’s Night Moves-workin’ on mysteries without any clues, I always liked workin’ on mistress without any clothes. Seemed to work for me!

The first record I got was Jonny Cash at San Quentin. I was about 11 and liked cowboy films. In my 40s I heard what I thought was ‘Down Injun Canyon’ on the radio and although I’d heard it many times over the years, for the first time I realised it was actually ‘Darlin Companion’.
Another favourite was when climbing, my missis holding the rope below. I heard her innocently singing ‘shirt lifters of the world unite and take over’ I nearly fell off! She was good at doing that genuinely thinking the Dire Straights song went ‘and the chips are free’ which makes complete sense if you grew up in Sheffield.

Elvis, and others, 'Return to sender' sounds like 'Return to Sindit' ('Sindit' must be a person). Even when I know what it's supposed to be it's how I hear it.

This was from the "Making of the Goodies' Disaster Movie" Book. They had called the director of "White Christmas" to get the cast list. The line to the US was a bit poor but they got the names:

Emma Dreaming
Arthur White
Chris Muss
Jess Likedee
Juan Swee
Hugh Sterno
Wendy Treetops-Glissen
Ann Children
Liz Ann
"Two Ears" Laybelle
Cindy Snow
Emma Dreaming
Arthur White
Chris Musswith
Avery Crease
Miss Carr
Dai Wright
Mayor Dazebee
Mary Ann Bright
Ann-May Hall-York-Rhys
Mrs B White

When I was a teenager, definitely wondered why Sting was singing about Sue Lawley

“I feel Sue Lawley
Sue Lawley
Sue Lawley…”

When I was a little kid and I used to hear 'Who Are You' by The Who on the radio, I used to think the lyrics were "Oooooh orange".

“Fried chicken” at the end of “One Vision” by Queen.

“Calling John Major” chorus “Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight” REM

“Gerbil Time” chorus “Jailbird” Primal Scream

Here's a man in evenin' clothes
How he got here, I don't know, but
Man, you oughta see him go
Twistin' the night away

He's dancin' with the chicken slags...

advertisement

Back