advertisement

misheard lyrics thread

Sorry to drag this thread back to the top again but one i forgot a classic

I cant get no Curry action

Rolling stones Satisfaction Im still intrigued by this lyric

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - I grew up singing "Saving his life for his warm sausages" instead of "Spare him his life from this monstrosity". Oh how my parents laughed (at me)!

I'll get my coat.

Tom

Hue & Cry "Labour of Love", - always thought he was singing "gonna whip drop my neighbour for love".
My brother, on the other hand, swears it was "gonna rim job my neighbour...". I prefer his lyric! :D

From 1 min 35 secs:

Last edited:
London Grammar - Flicker

And Everytime I go to bed
A little jobby flickers in my head
And everytime I fall asleep
A little jobby flows in my dream.

From 1:08.

I’m far from the only one to hear a lyric in Can’s “Mary Mary” as:

“Smoked a haiku cigarette
Turned around and then we left”

Long after I realized I’d misheard “high cool cigarette” (I still prefer my version!), I searched to see how many others had done the same. Someone imagined a contextual scenario:

There is no earlier notice for the haiku cigarette ceremony. It starts with one, then two more join. They form a triangle and each person performs a line. The last participant writes the haiku down on rolling paper. The group smokes the haiku cigarette. Participants go in silence.

https://ieatshapes.wordpress.com/2017/03/29/smooth-oval-marble/

It sounds perfect to me - and a fun party game. (Naturally, the cigarette would best be of a particular kind.)

Last edited:
Peter Kay? He seems a nice enough bloke, and very funny in some things he's done (most recently 'Car Share').

Anyway, back on topic, my own misheard was The Four Seasons' 'Let's Hang On!', where I heard 'That little chip of diamond on your hand' as 'That little chipmunk dining on your hand'.

Mrs H always thought Dylan was singing 'She can take the dog out of a night-time' in 'She Belongs To Me'.

“Get out your t!ts for Cotton Eye Joe” in the Rednex version of that old classic.

Knowing what it actually says doesn’t stop me from hearing it thus.

As a Swede I'm accustomed to various 'interpretations' of English lyrics. When my brother and I recorded a Dylan/Byrds song on our home RtoR when we where kids 'Boot heals' became 'Fruit juice' (?!?)

Since being grown up I have understood even people with English as their native language often get's it wrong, as this thread proves.

advertisement

Back