advertisement

Miriam Makeba, Sinetone AMR, RCA Victor, Collectables

Tim's Dad

pfm Member
I want to buy a digital copy of Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba (1960).

Ideally I would like to make sure I purchase from the original label (RCA Victor), or at least a company working with the label and providing an authorised master from the original tapes.

My choice appears to be a 16 bit Qobuz download from the label Sinetone AMR or a CD of two albums from the label Collectables.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

I'm far from convinced there is a current legitimate CD/digital copy of this one. Certainly the only CD listed on discogs is a French issue from 1989, and that doesn't feature the original cover art, that is the one I'd try and hunt down as it predates the current piracy epidemic. By saying that I'd be inclined to hunt down original US or UK vinyl if at all possible. I've got a UK London label mono original.

Discogs entry here: http://www.discogs.com/Miriam-Makeba-Miriam-Makeba/master/175786

I too have the original mono London pressing. Disregarding the English filler, it is a desert island disc! A record of uncommon beauty. The hair raising opening of "Mbube". The deep affection and passion of "Nomeva": Makeba smiling as she sings. Enjoy, Tim's Dad. Maybe Tim will appreciate it too.

I've seen a CD that I'm almost certain had the original cover art. In the mid 90s, I'd say. Definitely not the one Tony linked to. It may have had extra tracks; can't remember. Didn't purchase because it was in stereo, with that awkward hard panning of the time. And because of course I already had a perfectly fine LP - albeit somewhat harder to program out the filler.

Of later Makeba, I have a couple of LPs that I haven't listened to near as much. There is some excellent stuff on Youtube.

advertisement

Back