advertisement

Minor bump in car, no damage? get it checked.

kennyh

pfm Member
Get's a call from Mrs. this morning 10 minutes after she left home.

She'd been involved in a 4 car shunt. 3 cars at the lights, 4th car arrives a bit too hot in the rain, locks up and hits the back of the small queue.

Mrs was the middle car, she gets thumped from stationary car behind and shoved in to car a couple of metres in front.
Lots of witnesses so no probs there. Guy turned out to be a gent, making sure everyone was ok.

Mrs was very shaken by it and cancelled her appointment and came home. I inspected car in pouring rain and only damage I could see was a cracked front number plate, but it was stair rod rain.
Chap then phones later to make sure all is fine with the Mrs, and to ask about any damage to car and can he pay if there is to keep insurers out of it.

Whilst on the phone I nipped out for a second look to confirm. Rain had stopped and I noticed the front panel that number plate screws to was also fractured......car is only her little C1 town car.

Walks to the rear and notice the rear tailgate button looked depressed, and on wiping the dirt from the foul weather away saw a small crack under the button in GRP rear panel. Opened tailgate to see if mechanism was ok then found I could not close it again.

We told this to the guy who then came around to check. We guessed the lock had moved and he offered to pay for what was needed front and rear.............car still looked mint apart from these tiny things.

However just for peace of mind took it to my mates garage where we stuck it on the ramps.....jeez, crushed rear panel brackets in crumple zone, stress cracks in rear panel and crumpled boot floor.

So from a cracked number plate to possibly bordering on a write off in half an hour, you'd never even notice the cosmetic damage if not pointed out to you.

Insurers demanding it goes to their appointed agents for repair obviously so are picking it up from mates garage tomorrow who'd easily sort it without fuss if required. The guys it is going to are very expensive so can't see them getting approval for repairing it, although hope I am wrong there.

Guy was so truly decent I was almost taking a few quid off him to repair it myself and save his no claims further damage. I just hope the other larger cars fared better.

Glad I did take time out to stick it on the ramps, could have turned out costlier for us than it will do now......she'll certainly lose out in any case. At the end of the day apart from a stiff shoulder she is fine, so that is the main thing anyway.

Just as well the bumpers were not loaded with parking sensors and other gubbins like Adaptive cruise control.
I did see a Citroen back in the day, a BX, which was shunted from behind at low speed. The guy got out and looked at the back and waved to other guy on, as he shut the drivers door both headlight units popped out like a pair of comedy specs :)

If they write it off just buy it from them and fix it.

Not even close to as easy as it used to be, 20 years and more back. A nightmare now.

The car is yours, the insurers have no legal right to demand anything except to inspect before and after repair. You have no obligation to take it for repair anywhere. But going along with the insurers is FAR easier.

She must have whiplash. Check again. It sometimes comes on a few hours after the numbers have been crunched. I did the same to a merc in traffic lights, I hit the back at 15mph. New bumper 1500 quid, whiplash compo £10,500.

I was involved in a cash for crash incident in one of my Boxsters. I hit someone in the back who deliberately put their anchors on. A first look, it looked like bumper damage, but £11k later, I had a new bonnet and bumper, sensors crumple zone behind the bumper, bonnet mechanism, one new headlamp unit, camera etc.....

my insurance company agreed to let Porsche appointed repairers fix the car.

The two scrotes in the front tried to claim whiplash etc....in the end they got a massive fine for insurance fraud, their car (an Audi TT) crushed and their insurance invalidated, and costs awarded against them to pay back my insurance.

The case went on for three years, and the legal team at my insurance company supported me throughout. My no claims wasn't effected and it is considered a no fault accident on my record

We has a similar experience many years ago. Hope your wife is OK - might take a day or so to know for sure.

Glad Mrs Kenny is OK. As for the car, it reminds me of a similar tale. A woman at work was in a company car, a fork lift on site biffed it up the rear. Minor bumper damage, no problem she thought. Got home and told her husband, who's a mechanic. He got it on the lift and it was a right mess, needed new boot floor and all sorts. I don't think it got it, they knocked it out and ran it to the end of the leas e, and then gave it back without a comment.

Some very knowledgeable and also very interesting replies there guys, I truly mean that, many thanks.

Also many thanks for the nice wishes for my OH. Some cracking people out there, much appreciated.

I was involved in a cash for crash incident in one of my Boxsters. I hit someone in the back who deliberately put their anchors on. A first look, it looked like bumper damage, but £11k later, I had a new bonnet and bumper, sensors crumple zone behind the bumper, bonnet mechanism, one new headlamp unit, camera etc.....

my insurance company agreed to let Porsche appointed repairers fix the car.

The two scrotes in the front tried to claim whiplash etc....in the end they got a massive fine for insurance fraud, their car (an Audi TT) crushed and their insurance invalidated, and costs awarded against them to pay back my insurance.

The case went on for three years, and the legal team at my insurance company supported me throughout. My no claims wasn't effected and it is considered a no fault accident on my record
goes some way to disproving that the person behind is always responsible for a rear shunt.

goes some way to disproving that the person behind is always responsible for a rear shunt.

indeed, but it took; weather reports to show it was bright and clear, footage from my dash cam, data from phone. I had to give a statement in court, the other party failed to show. The court only ruled in my favour due to the footage from my dash cam

Amazing how much it gave, but that’s what today’s cars are designed to do isn’t it...!!

Glad the other half is okay.

My colleague once hit a 1960’s Rolls Royce in his XKR at car park speeds.. completely destroyed his front end bumper. He had hit the chrome bumper overrider on the roller and the old boy brushed the overrider off with his handkerchief and said “You hit the wrong car boy....!” No damage whatsoever.

Hope she’s okay tomorrow.

It's amazing how much a little damage can cost, and some of it is down to design by manufacturers. I few years ago I had a BMW 123d and unfortunately hit a fox whilst accelerating down a slip-road. Initial inspection showed that the O/S front fog light had been knocked into the space behind the bumper - I actually unscrewed the wheel arch liner and gaffer-taped it in place to the inside of the bumper temporarily as I was off to France the following morning and didn't want it rattling around inside etc.

On return I took it to get repaired and was told that despite the fog light working and there being no damage to the paint at all, a whole new bumper was needed (meaning paint as well) as the clips the fog light mount to are moulded into the bumper and had snapped. Two tiny bits of cheap plastic meant a £1k bumper and respray!

Amazing how much it gave, but that’s what today’s cars are designed to do isn’t it...!!

Glad the other half is okay.

My colleague once hit a 1960’s Rolls Royce in his XKR at car park speeds.. completely destroyed his front end bumper. He had hit the chrome bumper overrider on the roller and the old boy brushed the overrider off with his handkerchief and said “You hit the wrong car boy....!” No damage whatsoever.

Hope she’s okay tomorrow.

Exactly RD, the GRP rear panel must have moved a fair/large amount to cause the damage that has been discovered. It has reformed its shape with the tiniest of tell tales. Amazing.

Kenny - glad your OH is OK; that really is all that matters here.

Now - for a funnier take on the subject from the other side:

Ten or eleven years ago I was leaving Tonbridge, Autumn, going home from visiting my brother one weekend and a couple of miles up the main road slippery with rain on fallen leaves I slowed gently for a traffic light and the car behind did not. At all. I actually had time stopped to hear that skidding sound from brake lock-up, and could watch the inevitable in the mirror. He nearly saved a collision by dint of full right lock and ABS, but there was a sickening thud... my old e34 540 rocked on the handbrake.

Sighed, killed the ignition and got out. Looked behind to see a nice red Alfa in a not-good way - hit right on the apex where the LHS headlamp/bonnet/front panel/front LHS wing met: destruction to all quarters. The impact had smashed the light units, crumpled the wing corner like an unwanted letter, shattered that side of the bumper plastics full height, creased the bonnet massively up to base of windscreen, and the clouds of steam told me the rad was toast too.

Instant dismay; so walk I towards rear of my car to see what my own commensurate damage might be...

Well the bumpers on the old e34 5 series were mounted on dampers, and contained box section steel to reinforce. My own had re-set to where it was supposed to be exactly, all panel joints aligned; no damage at all above/below/behind, the rear light unit intact, th eboot decklid opened and relocked exactly as it always had, no mark in the floor below; and only a scratch and hairline 2" crack in the plastic at point of impact. I nearly giggled out-loud when the red paint marks almost all wiped off in the damp.

The impact happened exactly where it likely suited my own car best, and his least.

Shook his hand and left him to arrange his own tow in the rain. Poor sod.

If your Missus has a stiff shoulder, she should get that checked. My ex was hit by an NHS delivery lorry, and what was at first just a stiff shoulder turned out to be soft tissue DAMAGE requiring cortisone injections, physiotherapy and pain that continues to this day, nearly 2 years on. It's not helped by the fact she's just been in another accident - a car sideswiped her whilst she was stationary - and it's so much worse now.

The driver in the second accident kept going - there is anecdotal evidence to suggest she was high as a kite. My other half and her family tracked her down, and got the law involved. I'm so glad to hear that the chap responsible for the accident was such a gent over the whole thing.

[Edit] Just realised I called my ex "my other half". I have some thinking to do!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back