advertisement

"Minimalist" Nad amps

Mr_Sukebe

pfm Member
Sorry, spent years wondering about this, finally remembered to post on the subject.

For years I've read comments in the press about how the Nad integrates were "audiophile" (whatever that means) and very minimalist in their circuits.

To me, I think "minimalist", I think of an on-off switch, volume control and input selector.
I look at a Nad and I see stuff like balance, tone, sub-sonic filters blah blah blah.

Am I missing something here?

BTW, I'm not trying to pass comment on the ability of a Nad amp, just the perception that the press seem to have of them.
For all that, in the eons of time, I did listen to a Nad 3020 and ended up buying a Quantam IA100 integrated, which was roughly the same price and IMO sounded a LOT better.

Mike, the comment probably needs some historical context.
Most of the classic NAD products were fairly spartan when compared to other Japanese kit back in the day. Remember that NAD burst onto the scene with the 3020 at a time when all the big Japanese companies dominated the market with facility laden kit.

So I think the comment holds against that backdrop.
Not the case today though IMO.

For all that, in the eons of time, I did listen to a Nad 3020 and ended up buying a Quantam IA100 integrated, which was roughly the same price and IMO sounded a LOT better.

The original 3020 had a little thing that definitely made a major difference - a switch on the back labelled "Norm/Lab". The idea was that some sources were crappy and Norm(al) filtered out subsonic and high frequency trash. Lab(oratory) was for high quality sources. A lot of people had this switch set to Norm, thinking that it was the right thing to do, and there was no need for it with the vast majority of source components. I think they were actually set that way from the factory, but the manuals explained the use anyway. Switch to Lab and enjoy.

Who could have known five little LEDs could give so much pleasure...

I miss my old 3020 whenever I delve into the music of my youth...

Ah..the Quantum 1A100...If anyone has one in their attic..please let me know!...I still have my first NAD 3020..cracking bit of kit

Fond memories for me too. Whilst I'd had loads of bits over the years, Philips reel to reels, box record players some separates and a Sony music centre, the NAD 3020 was at the heart of what I regard as my first real hifi system.

Sansui SR222/AT95E, NAD 3020, KEF Concord IV, all bought from paper round money and very proud of it I was!

As others have said it was seen as a minimalist amp when compared to many a Japanese amp, particularly those sporting a graphic equaliser!

Google NAD 3020 upgrade. Place in Scotland services and upgrades them. Otherwise eBay sometimes has spares and repairs ones.

Memories of very happy days Nad 3020a, dual cs 505-2, Mission speakers and lots and lots of good vinyl!!!

In context of the era the 3020 was minimalist leading many of us on this murky path of audio aspiration and upgrades!!!

My first system part paid by me and parents paid the rest for my 21st was Dual 505.2 NAD 3020 and Kef Cantor 2. Changed the standard Cart to a Nagaoka MP11. All bought from Billy Vee. Happy days. Still got the NAD but it needs TLC.

I am Nadfan, from the good old 3020 and cassette decks is it.

Some of the receivers I have bought are still doing service in secondary and relatives systems there

DS

The original 3020 had a little thing that definitely made a major difference - a switch on the back labelled "Norm/Lab". The idea was that some sources were crappy and Norm(al) filtered out subsonic and high frequency trash. Lab(oratory) was for high quality sources. A lot of people had this switch set to Norm, thinking that it was the right thing to do, and there was no need for it with the vast majority of source components. I think they were actually set that way from the factory, but the manuals explained the use anyway. Switch to Lab and enjoy.

I have still have a NAD 3020e and the switch is labelled 'soft clipping' with the option on/off. There is also an impedance switch 8/4 Ohms. So maybe NAD learned something along the way.

One thing these amps had was good current drive.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back