advertisement

MiniDSP Active Crossovers

Having now looked into it, I'm surprise how few active ready speakers and active crossovers are available, given the amount of energy (and quality?) lost in a passive crossover.

Interesting - where would I find info on what the frequency filter settings should be for the bass, mid and treble?

High Pass 2700 Hz
Band Pass upper 2700 hz
Lower 200 Hz
Low Pass 200kHz

Those are the Linn Aktiv crossover frequencies for the Isobarik

Source - the manual http://www.mickandviv.com/pfm/iso_akt_user_manl.pdf

The amps are also 2 ohm stable and have complete control over the Isobariks and sound amazing

For retseldrib:

I have passive Briks driven by Teddy Pardo Monos and they sound great, but I’ve been contemplating about going active and your method looks like an excellent solution. Which model Mini DSP are you using for the crossover? I can’t find a 3x6 version that would accommodate the Isobariks.

Cheers.

MiniDSP Flex x 8 is the new model that would work it is digital only in though so might be an issue . If you need analogue in then look out for a 10x10 HD like I have which has both analogue and digital inputs .

For retseldrib:

I have passive Briks driven by Teddy Pardo Monos and they sound great, but I’ve been contemplating about going active and your method looks like an excellent solution. Which model Mini DSP are you using for the crossover? I can’t find a 3x6 version that would accommodate the Isobariks.

Cheers.

The amps have their own DSP crossover which are incredibly simple to set.

MiniDSP kit gives you great bang for your buck but it is clearly built to a price and that has an impact on SQ. Anyone who wants to get serious about DSP should read Mitch Barnett’s articles on AudiophileStyle about Acourate and AudioLense. He knows more than most about the use of DSP in hi fi set ups and those 2 software DSP solutions represent the SOTA in his estimation. His articles certainly convinced me and I intend trying out AudioLense. It’s just in a different league to MiniDSP.

Less efficient but it's also down to price, passive can be good too but to get the same precision as an active crossover you need to spend big bucks. So price/performance is usually better for active.

advertisement

Back