advertisement

MiniDSP Active Crossovers

dalryc

pfm Member
Has anyone used miniDSP units for Active crossovers?
They seem to have the advantage that they don't lock you into Linn or Naim pre-amp and power amps.

I've got a pair of Isobariks, latter type with external crossovers, and I'm curious which product is required.
I'd be looking for RCA in from a Pre-Amp and RCA out to a power-amp.

@bencat has posted a few times about using miniDSP as a crossover, he is an advocate of this approach and I believe was going to have his system on show at the recent meet.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...stems-meridian-etc.265564/page-2#post-4628401
This is a slightly different context but he has summarised the benefit here. I purchased a miniDSP 2x4 HD but have not round to trying it out. You will find a tutorial on the MiniDSP site for this application.

One advantage of the 2x4 HD is it can run Dirac (optional purchase). Some of the MiniDSP cannot, however they all come with the basic plug-in that takes care of basic crossover duties e.g. cut-off frequency and slope, limiting of output, plus ability to add equalizers e.g. to reduce room modes.

I was mesmerised by the system @bencat brought to the show. A very surprising set-up but I felt like it had the most natural high frequencies of all the systems I heard. Great system - well done Colin and Gary (I hope I remembered names correctly).

I think I heard an Audio Technica ART7 on a 70s/80s Pioneer linear tracking DD, Tippi head-amp, MiniDSP - can't remember the amps, and Sony Scala midi speakers with electrostatic tweeters and a Bowers and Wilkins sub.

I was very interested in the Tippi/MiniDSP combination. Everything has to be good to get a sound like that and it certainly raised my interest in the RigB products too.

Tippi/MiniDSP works.

neither naim or linn crossovers lock you into any particular preamp. It is simple to buy or make cables with the right ends. With my active Briks, my Kairn preamp and my Klouts have only RCA jacks for input/output, so the NAXO 3-6 and HiCap are connected via DIN - RCA cables. I had them made for me by designacable. I have recently purchased a Linn Aktiv crossover and it came with XLR - RCA cables, but these are easy to find, or have made for you, as long as you pay attention to the pin diagrams on the back of the crossover.

I am sure DSP works, but you should not avoid the crossovers that are MADE FOR YOUR SPEAKERS because of easily solvable cable issues.

I forgot to mention that I use active 242s driven by a ten pack of dirt cheap Behringer A500s. The Klimax Tunebox crossovers have RCA outputs for each driver so it's easy to use any amp you want, not just Linn. I can't recommend the Behringers for active because although they sound very good, they do have a switch-off thump, so I have to be careful to zero their gain knobs before I power down to avoid blowing my tweeters. I've got away with it for many years and my tweeters sound fine. I don't know if the supertweeters still work because at my age I've no way of hearing them.

You don't need to use Linn amps in a Linn active speaker system if you get active crossovers ('Tuneboxes').

Never used a MiniDsp. Did tri-amp with excellent results with a Driverack

I used a similar functioning unit by Behringer 2498 ultradrive, for my tri amp installation, easy to use and loads of features, most of which I tinkered with but didn't feel that I needed in the end. The PC software interface whilst useful was a bit dated. As long as you don't over do the DSP it copes ok.

If you don't want time domain adjustments, I would also consider the dbx analogue type units, even easier to adjust and view settings in a DIY environment.

Thank you for the kind words about my system due to internet issues it was not what I planned but it was playing music on Sunday and no one ran out the room screaming unless I missed that.

I have activated a pair of Linn Sara 9s using a miniDSP DDRC24 and this will be my system for the next Wam Show which will be at the same venue next April . It will be much easier to load and set up but I love how it sounds . The next show I have no doubt will be bigger and better with more systems , more beer and fingers crossed more visitors. This show was a blast and even more fun than I remembered I was drunk Friday ,Saturday and Sunday but managed to avoid disgraceing myself .

I love MiniDSP gear because it works and is easy to use with great flexibility . Lots of the models I have are nearing end of life and the new Flex units are getting really good feedback from new owners . If you want to activate most speakers without the hassle then they are worth doing .

Just an addition to my above post . I am only now getting myself together after the Wam Show I realise all too well that I getting older . Just looked and the latest units which will replace what I use are out now . Looking at this I could replace both of my DDRC 22D and my 10 x 10 HD unit with this one . It includes the DIRAC live DSP license and also a microphone to be able to use for the sessions . So in truth this will give you everything you need to make up to a four way system active and in my view at a very decent price .

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-flex-eight

That's what I've been looking at, which I also thought was a great price, but wasn't 100% sure if it's what I need.
Unfortunately I do need analogue inputs.

They did sell a 10x10 HD with 8 analogue in and 8 analogue out. I use one to control subwoofers. I have upgraded it with a better LPS supply and swapped to a few of the cheaper SMD caps with good effect.

Has anyone used miniDSP units for Active crossovers?
They seem to have the advantage that they don't lock you into Linn or Naim pre-amp and power amps.

I've got a pair of Isobariks, latter type with external crossovers, and I'm curious which product is required.
I'd be looking for RCA in from a Pre-Amp and RCA out to a power-amp.

I have Isobariks. These replaced 6 Avondale mono-block power amps and my Linn Aktiv crossover https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-1502

I use three of these

Interesting - where would I find info on what the frequency filter settings should be for the bass, mid and treble?

Is that the DDRC-88A with just a different name?

No its a now discontinued unit, two digital and 8 analogue in and two digital and 8 out analogue. So it is similar but has digital as well, You can matrix across any configuration and EQ in and EQ out as well as crossovers

So I use it for all channels in a 7.1 AV set up. But I use the 7 channels in parallel (so main signal is not through the DSP) and the drive 5 subwoofers for each channel and the main LFE. I align and EQ the sub group and then only add from this group was is needed for each channel. I use 2x18 to 42 Hz, 3x12 20-65Hz and each channel full range (with PEQ's to add the missing low end). all channels then sweep from 5Hz to 20Khz fitting a Harman curve. Over time I have realised less is more so I dont over EQ and just deal with the main nodes. I only EQ up to 70 Hz

For L,R I am using 2x18 (or will be currently only 1x18) from 5-20Hz, 2x18 and 3x12 from 20-30Hz and two mains and 3x12,2x18 from30-40Hz then just 3x12 and mains from 40-70Hz, then the mains on there own

I forgot to mention that I use active 242s driven by a ten pack of dirt cheap Behringer A500s. The Klimax Tunebox crossovers have RCA outputs for each driver so it's easy to use any amp you want, not just Linn. I can't recommend the Behringers for active because although they sound very good, they do have a switch-off thump, so I have to be careful to zero their gain knobs before I power down to avoid blowing my tweeters. I've got away with it for many years and my tweeters sound fine. I don't know if the supertweeters still work because at my age I've no way of hearing them.

You don't need to use Linn amps in a Linn active speaker system if you get active crossovers ('Tuneboxes').
In my ‘fun’ system I’d love to try something like the new Primare 8 channel class D amp with my active Ninkas…

I was mesmerised by the system @bencat brought to the show. A very surprising set-up but I felt like it had the most natural high frequencies of all the systems I heard.

Sony Scala midi speakers with electrostatic tweeters .

That'll of been the Sony speakers with the ESL tweeters, AFAIK they're an active speaker.

I heard a pair once in the 'hifi' section of a large electrical department store, one of the lads working there was into his hifi and had set up the active Sonys with a Nad preamp & CD player, I put in a CD called 'Porchsongs' (recorded on a porch) to this day it has to be one of the most natural sounding delivery of the HF.

That'll of been the Sony speakers with the ESL tweeters, AFAIK they're an active speaker.

I heard a pair once in the 'hifi' section of a large electrical department store, one of the lads working there was into his hifi and had set up the active Sonys with a Nad preamp & CD player, I put in a CD called 'Porchsongs' (recorded on a porch) to this day it has to be one of the most natural sounding delivery of the HF.

Interesting. Is there a current or more widely available pair of speakers which is similar in design and result?

Interesting. Is there a current or more widely available pair of speakers which is similar in design and result?

No idea, I do know there was a couple of ToTR Sony Systems that came with Active speakers, Cone for mid and bass and the little Electrostatic tweeter.
The pair I heard were a rather large standmount in a typical late 90"s dark grey finish.
I think the LaScala range had a wood finish on the sides.
It's a fairly long while ago since I considered them but they were one of those really surprising components now etched in my memory.

advertisement

Back