1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Milliband's nose job on the NHS

Discussion in 'off topic' started by doctorf, Apr 23, 2011.

1. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

The thread has been deleted but what I was going to say was

All the articles I've read on this matter claim that he is to undergo surgery at the end of July. I bet he hasn't got to phone the ward first thing in the morning to make sure there's a bed for him like many of my patients, most of whom would be delighted to be given an accurate date 3 months ahead.

Simon

2. mmterror

mmterror pfm Member

Why is it that all NHS operations seem to be x months away. Yet you can pay to go private and have the same surgeon do it two days later?

What would have happend two days later if no one asked to go private?

3. packtech

packtech Ex band member twice.. :)

The National Health System, market forces, and the abuse of, dear boy. Do keep up.

4. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Is that the sound of an approaching super injunction?

5. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Will it stop him sounding like Pitt the Younger from Black Adder 3 ?

6. matt j

matt j pfm Member

He's probably getting in whilst we still have an NHS.

7. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

1. Because more people use the NHS.
    2. Nothing.

8. mmterror

mmterror pfm Member

Yes but the operation would take place in the same theatre as the NHS patient.

So you have folks waiting but a surgeon and and a operating theater doing nothing supposedly.

Do NHS patients just get bumped out the way for the private ones?

I guess its some kind of mad scheduling system. Or more likely around the surgeons/consultants golf club schdule.

Does seem that every new hospital gets built very near a golf course.

9. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I've had the same operation (knee op) on both the NHS and private.

I had the same surgeon, on the NHS in an NHS hospital and private in a private hospital.

I had to wait longer for the NHS one (the first) and it took me longer to recover from it. The second and third ones were on my employers private medical scheme, and on the last one I walked out of the hospital the same day and they didn't even give me a walking stick.

I don't know what hours the surgeon was contracted on the NHS, but there was a clear division between his two roles, and it seems perfectly proper, legal and above board to me.

10. AlexG

AlexG ...

I've got the same experience as Prowla - same op, same surgeon, different hospital, radically different timescales. The NHS process was triggered by a GP assessment in August and an op in the following June (not sure where the 18 weeks target went, the system has a way of getting round that).

Not covered by insurance, I can't get cover now, so I just got a bill and 30 days to pay. In and out of the process in about a fortnight.

I know what I'll be doing in the future. In terms of lost work/time off it was actually cheaper to pay for the private treatment, and that was 5 figures.

11. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

1. Operating theatres never do anything.
    2. No.
    3. Really?
    4. It's a conspiracy. Probably.