advertisement

Middle Eastern pop

joel

Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors
there are precisely six people on PFM who will find this interesting. Everyone else can- and will - simply ignore.

Atlas of Middle Eastern Pop: Algeria, Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon & Iran

Dear all,

Just a quick message to inform you of a new 6 part series I will be hosting on Resonance FM. "Atlas of Middle Eastern pop' will be broadcast LIVE every Sunday 3-4pm for 6 weeks, starting Sunday 6th July until Sunday 10th August. Each show will be dedicated to the music of one country, with the exception of Iran for which there will be two shows: pre-revolution and post-revolution. The first show will be on Algerian popular music. Check out the link below for further details:

http://tinyurl.com/6myzsh

Its possible to hear each programme online through the radio station's website: www.resonancefm.com
You can download it as an mp3 and listen via iTunes or download and listen through real player. This is particularly good for those of you who are abroad but also for you guys here, as it can sometimes be hard to pick up on normal radio. Please note that you can only hear a show when it is being broadcast - there is no listen to past shows facility on the website.

If you have any thoughts or comments about the series, drop me an email: [email protected]

Hope you are able to tune in!

Nasim

n621055491_3407368_6195.jpg

Looks good. Resonance is part of my regular listening, although not often on Sunday afternoons. For some reason they have never got their internet streaming setup together enough to make things available after original broadcast, which is a terrible shame.

-- Ian

Cool, looks top. I think you might have underestimated at 6 though? I hope so.

I'm annoyed with Resonance, every time I order their magazine they charge me for it, then it doesn't show up.

ooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh
[squees quietly]

(Make that seven people)

ooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh
[squees quietly]

(Make that seven people)
Sensei, you were one of the original Arab Pop Six. I grudgingly accept that the list may be up to seven now, maybe. We'll have to wait and see who actually tunes in for week two.

I shall be attempting to. I just ordered that 'Waking Up Scheherazade', looks fantastic.

No 8 here, I think but I may be mistaken- maybe my tastes are too populist! I am very keen on arabic pop music and would welcome talking with those who might be able to educate me some more.. Up to last week I had only come across some compilation cd's previously and really enjoyed listening to them but was having major trouble identifying artists. I had only identified one, Nancy Ajram, and got hold of some of her albums. However I was on holiday in Tunisia recently and more or less bough on a random basis about 26 cds, and have expanded my knowledge and appreciation to include Sherine , Elissa, Carol Samaha, Cheb Salih, Fatma Bousseha, Latifa. Also many others but as their names have only been printed in Arabic script I am totally lost. Also a final question- am I correct to assume that Mezwed and Guasba are genres?
Thanks
John

Thank you Joel for the heads up. I'll be trying to catch something of a short summer tomorrow, so no way to listen to this. Too bad they don't have replay. Have put on my old Cheb Khaled compilation instead, in the vague hope rai qualifies as pop.

advertisement

Back