advertisement

Mid 70's speaker identification

retrospective

pfm Member
20130306_115947.jpg

I've picked these up cheap £5.50 ebay punt and apart from hmv stamped on the back there's no other information.I've googled like a mad man for the last 3 days and come up a total blank.

Any help will be appreciated

Just guessing, but it looks as if someone used an old HMV cabinet, and made their own front baffle and DIY speakers. The chipboard baffle in the phtograph looks roughly cut with a hand saw. And I doubt that even a British speaker-maker in the 1960s would have done that.

Where does it look roughly cut? All I can see is a wobbly line of black sealant and hardwood beading, there's no cut edge visible.

Where does it look roughly cut? All I can see is a wobbly line of black sealant and hardwood beading, there's no cut edge visible.

Yes, maybe you are right about the wobbly line.What about at the top, just above the tweeter? Doesn't that look like a strange edge-gap in the chipboard? Also, it seems strange that in a professional build they would have a baffle that's too small, and in a completely different kind of wood to the rest of the box, and fill in the edges with sealant. And just above the tweeter, don't those look like nail heads?

Look like the sort of thing you'd get with a 70s radiogram or music centre.
Tracing the wiring it seems that the two large drivers have different filtering, probably parallel for LF with additional top end roll-off applied to the lower one. At least that would be the sensible thing to do.

What do they sound like?

No idea lol,i can't hook them up until the weekend.From what i've gleamed the goodmans dt3 tweeters a bit fragile so amp choice may be an issue assuming they're not already fried.
Also goodmans drivers of this era are very high sensitivity in the main ???

The line above the tweeter is a super thin sealant line, almost transparent, check the print you can see through it. The baffle is screwed in place all the backs of the screws are sealed. not sure about those two dots though.

The line above the tweeter is a super thin sealant line, almost transparent, check the print you can see through it. The baffle is screwed in place all the backs of the screws are sealed. not sure about those two dots though.

Yes, I see it now, looks like a line of transparent silicone sealant. Maybe the OP, who has it there with him, might like to say if he thinks its a DIY job or not. It does look a bit cobbled together, to me, but then the insides of 1960s commercial speakers often did.

I've opened the other cab up and i dont think they're home made to be honest.Here's a pic of the other speaker.There's an ink stamp with something like "hallam" and the number 19 on both baffles btw it is indeed sealant around the edge of the baffle
20130307_093548-1.jpg

Curiously the two holes above the tweeters are in evidence on both cabs

I dont think they've ever been opened up before tbh

the board has assembler or quality control stamps on it. Why would a diy person do that?

It could be a cabinet that is used by another manufacturer for a project.

The two holes could be from a clamp that is used to fix the front baffle for machining.

Why would crap speakers have two bass drivers. Someone has made an effort with he design.

To my very untrained eyes, the crossover board has three trimpots and a single capacitor.....is this even possible?

On my screen I couldn't see the coils. Inductors of that vintage were typically ferrite core, but I suppose the physics dictates that there has to be at LEAST one inductor in the LF input, so my supposition that these are all trimpots (which were very common in 1970s speakers) must be erroneous.

hay ive got same speakers ive been looking for 3 years to find them them speakers are at my dads i cant seem find anything about them the wires brown and it has HMV logo on the back near wire it looks same as yours my dad pick it up in 70s in charity shop for £1 with all amp tape deck and record player

advertisement

Back