advertisement

Mick McManus R.I.P.

SCIDB

Triode Man
Hi,

Just heard the sad news of the death of Mick McManus. He was the original bad guy of British wrestling. He was "The Man You Love to Hate".

He helped to make wrestling popular during the 60s & 70s. He made many tv appearances on World of sport on a Saturday afternoon.

He was 93.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Les Kellet(?) was my fav. Watching with my Dad on Saturday afternoons 4pm waiting for the football results at 5! Happy days.

Steve

Great entertainment. A good innings from the man too, good on him. If he was indeed 93 then he was born in 1920 so was 55-56 in those clips. To be able to do that at that age was testimony to an athlete indeed.

Don't know about athletes. I suspect their training regimes involved large quantities of beer and fish and chips. Jolly good thing too.

Those were the days, before all that Kendo Nagasaki rubbish

She’s the main man in the office in the city
And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

She’s the main man in the office in the city
And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

I'm going to memorise that, unless I forget to do it.

I thought that Spike - wasn't the deal that they would "unmask" him if they won? Which even when they did win, something always prevented them from so doing!

Jacky Pallo is a name that also comes to mind - striped trunks and stuff.

Steve

I thought that Spike - wasn't the deal that they would "unmask" him if they won? Which even when they did win, something always prevented them from so doing!

Jacky Pallo is a name that also comes to mind - striped trunks and stuff.

Steve

Hi,

That was the deal but it didn't happen often.

Big Daddy did take his mask off. I think he was first.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Two Rivers, Tibor Szakacs and other exotic beasts filled the Saturday afternoons of my youth.

And dont forget the guy who enhanced it all - commentator Kent Walton. Just looked up Wiki. He died in 2003 aged 86.

I used to work with Mick McManus. This was around the early to mid 1990s. Lovely man, as I recall.

I also remember Mark (Rollerball) Rocco and 'Judo' Pete Roberts. I think I went to one of the shows in the late 70's where Big D, Kendo, Giant Hatstacks etc were on the bill. While it was all obviously fixed I didn't appreciate til much later that it was actually like a travelling show.

Was Billy Two Rivers the chap with the Mohawk haircut?

I remember being next to Jackie Pallow in the late night food queue at Trowell Services on the M1 near Nottm., around 1966. Back then that was an exotic end to a Saturday evening's boozing!

I have an almost holographic memory of the great Jackie uttering those immortal words:

'Eyagorranyo'themLambCutlitsluv?'

Slightly off-topic, but does anybody remember when roller derby was on TV on Sunday at lunchtime? This was two teams of heavily-armoured girls on skates trying to knock each other off the track. Much better than Songs of Praise.

advertisement

Back