advertisement

Michell Orbe power supply specs

HifiDan

pfm Member
Hi everyone,

I’ve got an incoming Orbe this week and wandering if anyone has/knows the size (WxDxH) of the power supply (it’s the latest spec as far as I know, QC I believe) so I can adjust the height of a level on my rack in preparation. Looked online but can’t find anything anywhere.

Also, if anyone has set the springs up on one of these before, any pointers would be very helpful, I’m dreading it.

Much appreciated,

Dan

Follow the instructions, you want a nice even pistonic bounce, sorry can't help with the dims of the PSU, a quick call to Michell will give you an answer though.

Setup guide is here, I think it covers everything (Orbe is same as Gyro as regards springs):

https://www.angelfire.com/music5/michell_gyrodec/

As for the PSU I think the latest one is basically the HR? Might be wrong. I have an earlier one by a couple of iterations (I think, from the account linked to above, the VC Tacho) and its measurements are 200mm X 220 (approx) X 115 (WxDxH). It looks like the earlier QC minus the fins - don’t know if the dimensions are the same.

I have the NC power supply it's 195mm wide, 220mm deep and 105mm high

The springs are easy enough to adjust once you realise that the whole spring assembly needs to move around the riser not just rotate the riser, then it's just a matter of patience and prodding the platter, the instructions are quite clear, you'll be OK, 15 minutes maximum

Make sure you wipe any stray oil from around the bearing, in the threads etc, it can be a source of some crackling, I had it and was told to clean the bearing, I did and it cured it, no idea why sorry.

Dan, there’s nothing to “dread” about setting up an Orbe.
Just take your time, plenty of space & light to work in & a few basic tools, spirit levels etc.
It’s an excellent turntable, I’ve had mine for many years & doubt I’ll change it.
Where are you in the world? With a bit of luck there may be a fellow Orbe owner close by to assist!

As others said ... take your time. If you are not feeling like it then walk away and try it another day.

Ensure that the support is rigid, stable, and perfectly level.
Then add the turntable's layers one by one, all perfectly level.

I have the NC power supply it's 195mm wide, 220mm deep and 105mm high

The springs are easy enough to adjust once you realise that the whole spring assembly needs to move around the riser not just rotate the riser, then it's just a matter of patience and prodding the platter, the instructions are quite clear, you'll be OK, 15 minutes maximum

Make sure you wipe any stray oil from around the bearing, in the threads etc, it can be a source of some crackling, I had it and was told to clean the bearing, I did and it cured it, no idea why sorry.
You mean like the kind of crackling you get from static? That’s interesting: I do get that but have never been able to figure out the cause.

You mean like the kind of crackling you get from static? That’s interesting: I do get that but have never been able to figure out the cause.
Yes, that's it, something to do with electricity tracking but I don't have the first clue about it, I just took the bearing out and gave it all a serious clean and it was gone from thereafter

Wow gents, lots of more very valuable responses, thank you so much
Just to plant a seed of upgradeitis

We had an Origin Live modded RB250, similar to the Technoarm on our Orbe first, very good but changing to an SME V was a revelation. They seem to be silly money these days but if you ever have the cash it may be worth looking out for a pre owned one. If I remember correctly John Michell designed the Orbe around the V for optimum performance. Don't get me wrong though, the Orbe with the OL mod was also very good, I think I would have been happy to live with it as was

IIRC initially John used Fidelity Research for development, and then SME V from the 80s on. There also was/is always been a good understanding with Rega.

That's correct @Werner Michell also developed and sold there own unipivot tonearm with the early Focus TT.
After owning two Gyrodec, an early full size AC and later Gyro SE with the DC motor and trying a few tonearms, Rega, Technoarm and SME IV and M2, my preferred combination was the SE model with the SME M2 tonearm.

It always surprised me that John didn't do more with tonearms, with his own designs, I'm sure he would have come up with something worthwhile. Then maybe he felt there was no need with what was already available

It always surprised me that John didn't do more with tonearms, with his own designs, I'm sure he would have come up with something worthwhile. Then maybe he felt there was no need with what was already available

I had a conversation with him about tonearms and various other hifi related aspects of production, he was quite happy to produce the turntables and to provide armboards for the customers choice of tonearm, though he did say at the price they could buy the Rega components for and modify it would have been a real challenge for his small operation to produce something significantly better.

advertisement

Back