advertisement

Michell Orbe Moving

Dinovector

pfm Member
Having just reinstated my system a few weeks ago after a house move earlier in the year I'm finding that the turntable seems very eager to slide around on the glass stand surface. Yes it always did it but for some reason it seems to move a lot more now, every time I open the lid or even undo the record clamp on occasions. It only moves a couple of mm but it's enough for the sub chassis to touch the motor housing and upset things.

Any practical suggestions on how I can stop this happening? I've thought of maybe spike cups but that would raise the whole turntable but not the motor causing the same issue vertically because of the flange type top of the motor housing. I could possible raise the motor too but with what and without maybe creating more problems? Possibly an isolation platform but again spiked feet on the glass or possibly the Orbe not liking it? I'm figuring there's a whole lot more knowledge here than I have!

Spike cups under the three feet & a disc of neoprene/wet-suit type material under the motor housing. Easy to obtain a sheet of this kind of material in a variety of thicknesses to suit from eBay etc.
The spike cups can be stuck to the shelf with two-sided tape or a tiny drop of glue to stop them sliding on a glass shelf if you want to.

Haven’t found the feet to slip on acrylic, so an acrylic base might be an option. I did use thin discs of sorbothane under the feet for a while, one under the motor pod as well to raise it.

Weird. My Spacedeck has been on glass forever. My arm is attached to the wall so has no connection with the deck other than the stylus when playing. Early days I checked every so often, now rarely. Never found any creep. Not helpful: just saying.

a sheet of a very fine sandpaper in the colour you like, cut to size/shape and laid on the glass surface with the rough side up would definitely cure that sliding problem - and it's pretty cheap a 2:1 sonic tweak, too

Having had an Orbe for 14 years, I wouldn't support it on glass. like LP12s, light wood is better. In your case, why don't you just try thin strips/patches of rubber or suchlike; even those sorbothane cups/feet commonly available. These won't move, will decouple the deck to a certain extent and therefore should keep that barely spaced motor in situ. In the vary unlikely event that even they migrate a bit (and heavens knows why they should), just stick a bit of PVA under them.

Weird. My Spacedeck has been on glass forever. My arm is attached to the wall so has no connection with the deck other than the stylus when playing. Early days I checked every so often, now rarely. Never found any creep. Not helpful: just saying.

Your turntable set up sounds intriguing - is there a thread or even pictures please?

Thanks for the suggestions, food for thought

Having had an Orbe for 14 years, I wouldn't support it on glass. like LP12s, light wood is better. In your case, why don't you just try thin strips/patches of rubber or suchlike; even those sorbothane cups/feet commonly available. These won't move, will decouple the deck to a certain extent and therefore should keep that barely spaced motor in situ. In the vary unlikely event that even they migrate a bit (and heavens knows why they should), just stick a bit of PVA under them.

I've never had my Orbe on anything other than glass, I'm intrigued by the light wood suggestion. What I have is basically a pair of 5 tier Bloc stands that have been modified with solid 56mm veneered MDF sides that weigh an absolute ton. Do you think a hollow wood shelf supported by sorbothane feet would be better than directly on the glass? I don't really have the will to swap the stands as they're too heavy for me to move these days and I can't really afford or justify new stands

Pic from old house

1766e1a21f65b6ad7220cc6b0e7737253f8f1e2a-2-738x748.jpg

What is the overall height of the Isobase? Michell say 16mm but that must be the thickness of the acrylic yes?, I did see one years ago somewhere and remember it being quite high, that wouldn't be an issue at all as in an ideal world the turntable could do with lifting 40mm to give more clearance with a windowsill

What is the overall height of the Isobase? Michell say 16mm but that must be the thickness of the acrylic yes?, I did see one years ago somewhere and remember it being quite high, that wouldn't be an issue at all as in an ideal world the turntable could do with lifting 40mm to give more clearance with a windowsill
I’ve got mine into Naim chips - so just shy of 25mm.

Wow - thank you for posting that!
How is the arm raised and lowered please? Is it based on an existing design or is homebrewed?
Many thanks

Wow - thank you for posting that!
How is the arm raised and lowered please? Is it based on an existing design or is homebrewed?
Many thanks
It’s a standard Air Forcell Mk1( not pretty). The full length bar partially obscuring the arm carriage in the pic raises/lowers the arm.

advertisement

Back