advertisement

Michell Gyrodec - TecnoArm2 versus SME 309

MikeMA

pfm Member
My recently purchased new Gyrodec came complete with a TecnoArm 2. To be hones I wasn't really expecting much from the the TecnoArm but I have to say the combinations works very well with my AT33PTG cartridge. I can't say how much of this is down to the arm, but the combination works well, so clearly it's no slouch.

I also have an SME309 in my spares box. It's the old version with an aluminum arm tube and I'm about to get it serviced by SME which will include a new magnesium arm tube etc. so will end up virtually a new arm.

There must be people around who have moved from the TecnoArm 2 to an SME309. What changes or improvements if any did you experience? Was it worth the change?

If I was to swap the arms, I'm wondering what I could expect to sell the TecnoArm2 for. I've not seen one on the second hand market, which I guess says something about them!

It's the silver wiring in the Technoarm that makes it stand out over a modded RB300 in my opinion. I am not fan of silver wiring, so I preferred a rewired modded RB300 over the Technoarm. The RB300 mods generally include some of the things that comes with the Technoarm like the Michell weighting system etc.

I moved to an SME309 also, but the most recent until production stopped, and it is an improvement. It is not night and day though over a rewired modded RB300, so depending on what you paid for the 309 or will pay for this 'service' (probably rip off prices as one expects from SME) , you have to balance up its worth, but on a good system it is clearly noticeable.

Improvements - lower floor noise, better tracking, no 'ringing', and just a more solid precise sound but still allows the Gyrodecs floaty nature to come through...and a lot easier to set VTA, plus it looks well better. For me, definitely worth the change.

Last Technoarm sold for £400 on here

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/michell-technoarm-a-in-black-new-box.255658/

If you look on the Sold/Expired tab here, prices are £350-400 approx

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=technoarm#

I cant really see the difference between the Technoarm and Technoarm2 other than the three point mounting system, maybe the foam fill?

It's the silver wiring in the Technoarm that makes it stand out over a modded RB300 in my opinion. I am not fan of silver wiring, so I preferred a rewired modded RB300 over the Technoarm. The RB300 mods generally include some of the things that comes with the Technoarm like the Michell weighting system etc.

I moved to an SME309 also, but the most recent until production stopped, and it is an improvement. It is not night and day though over a rewired modded RB300, so depending on what you paid for the 309 or will pay for this 'service' (probably rip off prices as one expects from SME) , you have to balance up its worth, but on a good system it is clearly noticeable.

Improvements - lower floor noise, better tracking, no 'ringing', and just a more solid precise sound but still allows the Gyrodecs floaty nature to come through...and a lot easier to set VTA, plus it looks well better. For me, definitely worth the change.

Last Technoarm sold for £400 on here

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/michell-technoarm-a-in-black-new-box.255658/

If you look on the Sold/Expired tab here, prices are £350-400 approx

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=technoarm#

I cant really see the difference between the Technoarm and Technoarm2 other than the three point mounting system, maybe the foam fill?
Thanks, that's interesting.

Clearly I didn't look hard enough for secondhand TecnoArm 2 sales!

I think the main difference between the TecnoArm 2 and TecnoArm A, apart from the three point fixing, is that the TecnoArm 2 comes with the Michell VTA/height adjuster included which I found quite handy.

SME want £600ish for the service. I'll probably get it done as I got the arm for a good price.

Thanks, that's interesting.

Clearly I didn't look hard enough for secondhand TecnoArm 2 sales!

I think the main difference between the TecnoArm 2 and TecnoArm A, apart from the three point fixing, is that the TecnoArm 2 comes with the Michell VTA/height adjuster included which I found quite handy.

SME want £600ish for the service. I'll probably get it done as I got the arm for a good price.

Yeah the VTA adjuster is a must - I wasnt aware they had developed one for the three point arm, so thats definitely a plus. The original did come with the Michell VTA adjuster, but it would have been a different design.

£600? Thats a joke in my opinion, does it even need a 'service'? I'd love them to itemise the costings of these services. It's just a tone arm, not a space ship.

I bought a Techno arm when they first came out, can’t say it was anything special over a stock Rega, it was ok but I didn’t think it was worth the price TBH.

Yeah the VTA adjuster is a must - I wasnt aware they had developed one for the three point arm, so thats definitely a plus. The original did come with the Michell VTA adjuster, but it would have been a different design.

£600? Thats a joke in my opinion, does it even need a 'service'? I'd love them to itemise the costings of these services. It's just a tone arm, not a space ship.
No breakdown, but I was told it would have new bearings, a new magnesium arm tube and a rewire.

No breakdown, but I was told it would have new bearings, a new magnesium arm tube and a rewire.

Does it need new any of those? I doubt it unless its been left outside in the rain for a few years.

Im just skeptical over the prices SME throw out. My SME is probably five years plus old now, and is completely fine.

Does it need new any of those? I doubt it unless its been left outside in the rain for a few years.

Im just skeptical over the prices SME throw out. My SME is probably five years plus old now, and is completely fine.
Mine is about 20 years old.

I don't think it does necessarily need it but in theory it's more of an upgrade to the performance.
But some say they prefer the earlier Aluminium arm tube and some prefer the newer Magnesium arm. Choices.

I had the Technoarm 2 for a few years, swapped it for an Audiomods V and never looked back.

You could probably pick up a 2nd hand one for the cost of the SME service. I genuinely don't think you'd be disappointed when comparing it to the 309.

Plus you can sell the 309 and Technoarm and have a load of money for more records!

The Tecnoam is a worthy upgrade over a standard Rega although I’ve found it to be quite cartridge sensitive.

The 309, however, trounces it by a country mile in my opinion, hence why there’s been a 309 on my Gyro SE for the last 10 years!

Why not try the 309 on the TT first before sending it off, this will give you a good idea of its potential. Unless the bearings are sticky or the wire are broken I don’t see see the point in spending £600 on a service.

Having had RB300, SME309, SME IV and TecnoArm 2 on a Gyro I'd rate the plain Rega a slightly ahead although the Rega and Michell are very close indeed.
All of the others have damped structures (stock Rega do not) and you can hear it - they all sound a tad dead and meh in the mids compared to stock Rega. SME arms have slightly firmer bass and look wonderful but that's the extent of the benefit IME.

SME have always elected to strive for neutrality by throwing damping and sometimes mass at the problem. This carries a sonic signature.

Don't assume that because something is inexpensive it has to be inferior.

Having been an owner of a Gyro SE here are my thoughts:-

Originally started with a "basic" Rega arm, it sounded just a bit flat and lifeless, so I changed up to a s/h Origin Live Silver (Taper version). This was a big improvement over the original Rega arm.

I then took a punt on a s/h SME 309. This added so much more to the sound - a lot fuller with much more bass. Rock solid sound. Not being an "expert" at maintaining turntables, I found the SME a dream to use. So easy to dial in the correct settings using the supplied template. Azymuth, cartridge weight and height also so easy to dial in using a hex screwdriver.

This was using an Audio Technica OC9 Mkll, then Lyra Helikon and finally Lyra Delos.

Only caveat would be that the right angle fitting at the foot of the 309 made it a, very, tight squeeze to fit the interconnect cable to the phono stage.

My thoughts would be to get the SME sorted and fitted IMHO.

My SME V sounds the opposite of over damped or dull , very dynamic and full of energy on my voyd turntable with very extended and solid bass , I would need to be persuaded that there is something I would prefer. But who knows?

I've never heard of someone saying the SME arms sound over-damped until now. But then again, the poster was saying the other day that there would be no improvements from a rewire on an rB300 which simply isn't true, so.....

£600 for a new arm? Sounds like good deal to me. Try a MintLP protractor too if you want to get cartridge alignment smack on.

advertisement

Back