advertisement

Michael Jackson "Bad"

I'm of the opinion that the Quincy Jones remasters are considered the best, they are for thriller and dangerous (IMO), I don't however have the Bad Quincy Jones mastered version but I am about to purchase it.

The only one I've directly compared is the original version of Thriller to the 2008 'Special Edition' with all the interview tracks etc on the end. The former is much better to my ears. Just naturally warm and dynamic where the latter sounds a bit hyped, harsh and compressed by comparison (if acceptable in isolation). The pressing wonks over on Steve Hoffman seem to cite the original masters as the best for all titles.

Tony, any views on which versions for Off the Wall and Thriller? Are the original unadulterated ones still the best? I think it's time to fill in gaps in my collection.

Tony, any views on which versions for Off the Wall and Thriller? Are the original unadulterated ones still the best? I think it's time to fill in gaps in my collection.

I'd go for original vinyl or CD issues on both. They are great sounding records / CDs and needed no tampering with at all. They were produced with great care and judgement IMO. The original CD issues have black text on an unprinted silver background (link). There are later issues with a slightly different Epic logo and some blue printing, these are the same (original) mastering and are fine (link). There is also a single-layer SACD of Thriller that is now rather collectable, I've got a copy somewhere but haven't got an SACD player hooked-up at present so can't actually play it!

Fantastic, thanks. Still have the vinyl but can't play them as LP12 long gone. Nostalgia has come all over me, must seek out the original CD versions.

The only one I've directly compared is the original version of Thriller to the 2008 'Special Edition' with all the interview tracks etc on the end. The former is much better to my ears. Just naturally warm and dynamic where the latter sounds a bit hyped, harsh and compressed by comparison (if acceptable in isolation). The pressing wonks over on Steve Hoffman seem to cite the original masters as the best for all titles.

The original CDs (I think mine hail from Japan) sound much better than any remaster I've tried. Those are just louder and brighter by varying degrees with compressed dynamics. Could sound preferable in some situations like portables I guess but unlikely on a reasonable set up.

Off the Wall was a great pop soul album then unfortunately he started down the cod rock cul -de- sac making records for German air hostesses or whoever. This, and the J5 stuff is what I reach for:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is on iPlayer but from my new Virgin box it doesn't seem to let me record? Even if i could, how do you get it on to DVD (I have a DVD recorder but not connected up since the Virgin guy installed the new box!:eek: )

One might say that those later reissues of Bad had gotten 'fat'...

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back