Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Brookes - Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Nagraboy, Mar 16, 2023 at 8:14 PM.

1. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

Anyone receiving replies to their Wanted ads, be aware of someone calling themselves Michael Brookes. I’ve just lost £900 after he replied to my Croft 25R wanted ad on Hifiwigwam. Seems this person has a long history of scamming hifi forums. He asked for payment to be sent to the account of a Sarah Brookes, who he claimed is his wife. Just warning people here to not send any funds to this person. He even produced an image of a Croft 25R with the day’s date and Hifiwigwam written on a piece of paper next to the amp, as asked for.

2. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Oh dear! Sorry to hear it thanks for the warning

Mynamemynaim and Nagraboy like this.
  3. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

I am very sorry to hear this- we all need to stay vigilant.

Nagraboy likes this.
  4. Weiss-Man

Weiss-Man pfm Member

That’s not good, apologies for your bad experience. We should arrange a face to face collection when he next appears, down a dark alley on a dark night!

5. m7rso

m7rso Member

Its soo bad, i am infuriated, honestly.

Nagraboy likes this.
  6. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

Just been on the phone to my bank. They’re investigating but I won’t know the result for around 15 days.

7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Fingers crossed you manage to claw it back. What a scumbag.

Nagraboy likes this.
  8. turbo al

turbo al Member

A friend of mine was scammed at the weekend for a £400 deposit on a top end Canon camera, he replied to a thread on a nature reserve site, seems to be rife everywhere, can't be too careful, thanks for the heads up.

canonman and Nagraboy like this.
  9. Mike P

Mike P Trade: Pickwell Audio

These scumbags seem to be targeting wanted ads in particular. I had several bogus messages the last time I placed a wanted advert.

10. stony

stony pfm Member

Sorry to hear this.
    Always use Paypal and not "friends and family" payment. It costs few more quid but it's worth of it.

11. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

Better still cash on collection, be it at the sellers house or halfway meet-up.

kensalriser likes this.
  12. rubycat

rubycat pfm Member

That is not safe either, aranging to be anywhere you have not been before with several hundred pounds in your pocket is asking to be mugged!
    Meet up to see the goods by all means then pay with your mobile via Paypal to the sellers verified email/ paypal account,
    still not the best but at least you have some proof of payment.

Nagraboy likes this.
  13. Gerard124

Gerard124 Tempus fugit, memento mori

With a half way meet up you also risk arriving home with an item that doesn't work or you just became a receiver of stolen goods.

FLORIAN35 and Nagraboy like this.
  14. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

That’s really sad, sorry you got conned. Hope your bank helps out, but….

Nagraboy likes this.
  15. Nagraboy

Nagraboy Ausculta fili

I’ve got a lot more doubts over buying kit from forums after this. It’s always gone so well in the past when buying from regulars and friends who tend to turn out to be very trustworthy. Just have to be more wary of unknowns in future.

Big Tabs likes this.
  16. Gerard124

Gerard124 Tempus fugit, memento mori

Very sorry to learn what has happened here Nagraboy.

Nagraboy likes this.
  17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The 50 posts plus 3 month membership system we use here is pretty robust IMO, the problems only come if people deal with users with less than that. Review all the posts, view them as a CV. Don’t like the look, then bail. Even then some basic background checks are essential, e.g. always check where you are sending something on Google Earth etc.

18. kimbleman

kimbleman pfm Member

Replying to rubycat and Gerrard 124 above. I have driven dozens of times to fellow Pink fishies to pick up various bits of kit and also several halfway meets (most recently to collect a naim HicapDr) and have never had a problem. Indeed it usually involves a beer and a demonstration (for a home pick-up). A scammer is hardly likely to let you do either. For anything over a couple of hundred ££ I personally use this method.
    Agree with Tony L check a seller's history on here first too.

The Finisher likes this.
  19. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

That’s really gutting mate.
    At least we have the sellers feedback thread here.
    I am still wary though as accounts can get hacked.

20. RS3

RS3 Member

Assume you’ve reported it to action fraud? Is it’s any consolation, I was scammed 3 years ago for £6k by an incredibly elaborate fraud involving fake courier company websites (Pacefast Logistics) and a fake seller by the name of Ephrain Isaac. Videos were sent showing him having lunch with his kids and demonstrating the amp. When I said I wasn’t comfortable sending the whole amount he agreed to 50% up front and 50 on delivery. He then said his wife was very worried about that and he could only do the whole lot up front. Dockets showing the boxes being dropped at the courier and tracking info by text / email until on the day of delivery I get one saying your package is held in customs (in Istanbul) because the vendor hasn’t paid taxes. To release the package you need to arrange for a further 1.5k to be wired to this account. At that moment I knew. It was very slick but absolutely devastating for me. I hope you get your money back.