advertisement

MF Scanning question

You have to view their profile, then look to the top right, there should be an 'add as contact' link in blue.

Art,

Is there a reason you're sticking to the 4990 since it sounds like it's not working to your liking? Why not use your v500? Do you also have large format (the only drawback I can see of the v500, which does not do large format)

The only problem I have had so far with the v500 was with the last batch of 35mm -- the negs were so curved that the flimsy film holder had a hard time staying shut.

Dan

Guys,
I have a v750 and have been very disappointed when using it for MF using vuescan. I cannot keep the negatives straight in the holder (always bow into the middle) and scanning velvia results in horrendously dense areas on the scans.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
Many thanks
David

Buy one of the improved holders sold by better scanning:

http://www.betterscanning.com/

There is one for the v series scanners - i've got one for my 4490 and it's producing nice results. The current one has a glass back that sits on top of the negatives, so if your film is bowed place it so that the film bows away from the scanner glass, and the holder glass pushes it flat giving a good scan.

I got the adjustable one, but haven't gotten around to adjusting the height since it works well as it is. I believe Ian has fiddled with his to improve sharpness.

Cesare

I have the standard glassless betterscanning holder for my V700. It does hold film flatter than the Epson version, fo sho.

I shall give that a go. I get better results scanning of the bed that using the slide holders. Which is shocking ,the transparencies are perfectly exposed and sharp, but the scans always come out very poor.
Thank you
David

Art,

Is there a reason you're sticking to the 4990 since it sounds like it's not working to your liking? Why not use your v500? Do you also have large format (the only drawback I can see of the v500, which does not do large format)

dan . . the comments that I made about the 4990 were in it's use straight out of the box where few things work ar their best, after trying the the v500 I can say it that it may be superior - I'll post some scans later.

I shall give that a go. I get better results scanning of the bed that using the slide holders. Which is shocking ,the transparencies are perfectly exposed and sharp, but the scans always come out very poor.
Thank you.

I saw this coin method on one of the forums, there is no doubt that experimentation is the order of the day, good luck.

scanner_coins.jpg

advertisement

Back