advertisement

Metrum Octave mods?

vrazji

pfm Member
Given that there were/are quite a few of these DACs around - did anyone ever tried modding one?

I've found a few suggestions like changing the RCA to BNC, substituting the Murata pulse transformer for a Lunhdahl LL1572 one, changing the fuses,...

So - did anyone have a go at one? Results?

The only thing I really wanted to do to mine was to make the LED less bright. I found that it didn't care what mains lead or fuse was used, because it has a properly designed PSU. I did try bypassing the on/off switch at the back (why does it have 2 on/off switches?) - made no difference that I could hear. Just leave it alone.

If you want to mess then buy a Mk2 Jolida FX, that's what I did

The only thing I really wanted to do to mine was to make the LED less bright. I found that it didn't care what mains lead or fuse was used, because it has a properly designed PSU. I did try bypassing the on/off switch at the back (why does it have 2 on/off switches?) - made no difference that I could hear. Just leave it alone.

If you want to mess then buy a Mk2 Jolida FX, that's what I did

What was the Jolida doing the Metrum wasn't?

What was the Jolida doing the Metrum wasn't?

To my ears in std form it's more 3D, but with less attack. Very little in it.

With upgrades to the PSU and output caps it has more of everything that the Metrum does. The Modwright output caps give tons of slam and a 22uF Blackgate in the PSU lowers the noise floor further.

OK, thanks for the answers - just what what I wanted to hear to be honest. I really like it as it is...

Now if everybody would say there are some "no brainer" mods that don't change it's character, then that would be another matter...

advertisement

Back