advertisement

Metal

That's really spooky because I mentioned Cult of Luna and did a quick look at what the band are up to and they have a new LP out on September 20th called "A Dawn to Fear" and they have live dates in the UK at Leeds and London in November. Also touring Europe for you guys over there, check out the bands FB page.
The only worrying thing is the new album is on Metal Blade...has their consistency finally ran its course....

Any reason why being on Metal Blade is significant in that way? IME for this kind of stuff, the label is pretty irrelevant in musical terms if you already know/like the band.

Any reason why being on Metal Blade is significant in that way? IME for this kind of stuff, the label is pretty irrelevant in musical terms if you already know/like the band.
You should know egodissolve by now Dave, always one for the underdog. Metal Blade is mainstream in my book and maybe a sign a band is "selling out". I am not saying the band will and you could also say they will attract a wider audience. So it wasn't meant as a knock down just a hope it isn't a knock down, of course the other possibility is it is egodissolve pontificating as per usual :)

You should know egodissolve by now Dave, always one for the underdog. Metal Blade is mainstream in my book and maybe a sign a band is "selling out". I am not saying the band will and you could also say they will attract a wider audience. So it wasn't meant as a knock down just a hope it isn't a knock down, of course the other possibility is it is egodissolve pontificating as per usual :)

Ah, ok. Well, egodissolve should rest easy, safe in the knowledge that a label like MB won’t exercise editorial control of a band like CoL. If their next album sucks, it will be down to the band, not the label. Whatever egodissolve thinks, MB aren’t a corporate behemoth major label, they do the same stuff that smaller labels do, just a bit more professionally.

Not that I’m out to defend MB, just to offer perspective. Selling out isn’t really a thing at this level IME. Tbh I’d rather assumed CoL were on a bigger label already. But then I only just found out that Perturbator’s (he did a remix of a CoL song) album Uncanny Valley is a pay as you feel download from a tiny label. So my band-label-size-dar is clearly in need of recalibration!

I am so glad Dave you are around to keep me on the straight and narrow. Perceptions have been re-adjusted accordingly and I have returned to my box, can I ask you just take a moment to close the lid.

Bit weird to adopt that passive-aggressively faux-humble tone when all I did was join in with your way of speaking and point out that you don't need to worry. But fair enough.

Sunn O))) Pyroclasts is now on pre-order. Get your red limited edition vinyl record lp vinyl ordered before it's too late!

I've not been listening to anything new for a while. I did spend a week or 2 playing Morbus Chron enough that I felt the need to buy an FDR vinyl release of Left Hand Path (so instead of buying M-Chron I went and got an old record I've heard many times - so there!). Oh! and Bolt Thrower's Cenotaph/Spearhead FDR release for good measure (I never owned the EPs so it was about time).

I saw Dylan Carlson play the other night - one man band sounding like three, great gig but I think I'd like a deck-chair for drone-type gigs. On a similar note (literally) I'm not sure what to expect from a Sunn O))) show.

I'm not sure what to expect from a Sunn O))) show.
Colossal volume! I saw them a couple of years ago and it was a unique concert experience - certainly the most visceral sound I have ever experienced, literally gut-shaking. There were flakes of plaster coming from the ceiling of the venue (SWG3 in Glasgow) and O'Malley played some palm-muted notes that actually sucked the air from my lungs. Make sure you wear ear protection - even with 20dB Etymotics in place I couldn't hear properly for 48 hours afterwards.
Oddly, despite the overwhelming volume, I found it quite relaxing - like a sound massage.
This is Sunn 0))) fan The Needle Drop's description of a Sunn 0))) show:

Colossal volume! I saw them a couple of years ago and it was a unique concert experience - certainly the most visceral sound I have ever experienced, literally gut-shaking. There were flakes of plaster coming from the ceiling of the venue (SWG3 in Glasgow) and O'Malley played some palm-muted notes that actually sucked the air from my lungs. Make sure you wear ear protection - even with 20dB Etymotics in place I couldn't hear properly for 48 hours afterwards.
Oddly, despite the overwhelming volume, I found it quite relaxing - like a sound massage.
This is Sunn 0))) fan The Needle Drop's description of a Sunn 0))) show:

SWG3 - I like that venue, not been there in a while.

Despite the all metal bands that I've seen the loudest gig I've heard is probably Mogwai!

SWG3 - I like that venue, not been there in a while.

Despite the all metal bands that I've seen the loudest gig I've heard is probably Mogwai!

I've seen Mogwai, but only at Bellahouston Park (supporting the Cure), I could certainly understand why they could be incredibly loud in the right venue and with the right PA system.
My loudest gigs were Sunn 0))), followed by Motorhead at the Barras and then The Melvins at SWG3. My companion at the Melvins gig had to leave as it was giving him heart palpitations.

I've seen Mogwai, but only at Bellahouston Park (supporting the Cure), I could certainly understand why they could be incredibly loud in the right venue and with the right PA system.
My loudest gigs were Sunn 0))), followed by Motorhead at the Barras and then The Melvins at SWG3. My companion at the Melvins gig had to leave as it was giving him heart palpitations.

The loudest I went to was Raging Speedhorn, Will Haven and Earthtone9. This was due to having a huge rig in a tiny venue in Exeter. I had a lisp for days afterwards due to not being able to hear my own voice properly. Good times.

@egodissolve what did you think of the new Mgła? I liked it but it hasn’t replaced With Hearts Towards None as my favourite.

I went a little crazy on bandcamp recently so still working my way through my purchases but standout albums so far have been from Imperium Dekadenz, Downcross, Asagraum & Marche Funèbre.

I heard there is a new Napalm Death album coming out? Anybody know anything more?

I believe Shane’s been recording lately, but I think that was for something else, as the rest of Napalm are touring in the US at the mo.

Got a link or anything?

@egodissolve what did you think of the new Mgła? I liked it but it hasn’t replaced With Hearts Towards None as my favourite.

I went a little crazy on bandcamp recently so still working my way through my purchases but standout albums so far have been from Imperium Dekadenz, Downcross, Asagraum & Marche Funèbre.
It is still in my top 10 so far J, HTN is a classic, never to be replaced! How are you getting along with Vukari?

I will revisit Vukari BMB if and when I eventually move on from spinning Shrine of Insanabilis, Profetus, Vacivus, Lvme, Mortiferium, Dysangelium and Verheerer! My EoYL is going to be a tough one!
A note to all; Vacivus is recorded/mixed by Greg Chandler and mastered by Dan Lowndes, what more could one need.
http://vacivus.bandcamp.com/album/annihilism

advertisement

Back