advertisement

Metal

I am thinking the same thoughts Dave, I have given it a couple of listens and haven't been blown apart like I was with The Satanist. Possibly a grower but I have read they are pretty awesome live no matter how the recent material compares to the older stuff. I must say the new one has had divided opinions...
Anyone into the funeral/doom genre just a quick heads up that Evoken have a new release in the pipeline.

Bit of metal trivia re Morbid Angel (from Wikipedia). something I'd never thought about anyway...

Their albums are notable for being released in alphabetical order, with guitarist Trey Azagthoth commenting that it was a coincidence regarding the first two albums, but that it has been done consciously since then.

Listening to their B album right now :)

What a strange coincidence, I had Fall From Grace from that album going round in my head earlier.

If it’s taken them about 32 years to get to K, then a) I feel old, as B was the first album I owned on CD, and b) I’d love to see the state of them by the time they get to Z :)

Looks like I have my evenings free and alone this week as my daughter's at gran's and my wife is on hols with her sisters. This means the metal is getting played a lot of course.

My first for the evening:

Looks like I have my evenings free and alone this week as my daughter's at gran's and my wife is on hols with her sisters. This means the metal is getting played a lot of course.

My first for the evening:

Not familiar with them but I'll check it out.

I love samplers, especially because they often feature alternative takes or versions of tracks, quirky covers etc.

Not familiar with them but I'll check it out.

There are some distinct sides to Solitude Aeternus & the vocalist Rob Lowe can be an acquired taste, and over the top sometimes, but at the same time can't think of a more fitting frontman, and man what a band.

Here's old side:

Pain of Procreation
Won't let me post a skip link, remove the space: https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=YAF4giSVZWk&t=1919s

And the modern side:

These Are The Nameless

Most recently on the metal front it's been Hellhammer, DungeönHammer, Coffins and Cathedral

Been listening to a couple of bands, Skyforest and Thrawsunblat, whose earlier works had one foot in the black metal camp but more recent albums have been a lot more acoustic folk driven.

Actually, a fair amount that I’ve been listening to has had a blackened, atmospheric, folky vibe to it (Nokturnal Mortum, Marrasmieli, Allelic, Wiegedood, Eneferens). Another album getting a few replays is Realm of Wolves - Oblivion, also available as an instrumental version for those who don’t get on with the usual metal vocals.

Away from the atmospheric & folky theme, one album that has had repeated plays is the Angrrsth - Znikad (EP), really catchy chugging riffs on this one. It’s one band I’m going to keep an eye on in the future.

Not a huge metal listener but I picked up Sleep's the Sciences last week and came away very impressed (Sonic Titan is :eek:)
Can anyone recommend similar (I have OM, Sunn ((0)) albums already)?

Not a huge metal listener but I picked up Sleep's the Sciences last week and came away very impressed (Sonic Titan is :eek:)
Can anyone recommend similar (I have OM, Sunn ((0)) albums already)?

You could try Earth, Melvins, Egypt, Elder, Isis. They're all pretty accessible. I'm a big fan of Sleep and Om but never really got into Sunn O)))

You could try Earth, Melvins, Egypt, Elder, Isis. They're all pretty accessible. I'm a big fan of Sleep and Om but never really got into Sunn O)))

Earth are another one I have a few albums of; Earth vs The Bug is a good album.
I'll try the others you mention...

Currently listening to these guys, after someone gave me the CD the other night:

https://cyclus.bandcamp.com

I’m enjoying it, actually. The ‘Acts’ get better as they go on, with 2&3 being a cut above 1 IMO. But it’s good stuff. Quite proggy, with a pretty diverse set of influences from the sound of it. To me, Sham Mirrors-era Arcturus and a touch of the lightest end of ATG (mostly in occasional bits of vocal) are the closest references, but that’s largely because I don’t know that much more stuff that’s like this. A great concept/theme, too.

Worth checking out.

A tip for 'proper' Black Metal people, Stilla's new album comes out at the end of the week. There's a preview track here https://stillaswe.bandcamp.com

If you don't know who they are, they're worth a go on Spotify. I found them because of Bergraven, a 'band' I became acquainted with years ago and have really enjoyed. The guy behind Bergraven is also in Stilla, and there are some signs in the way the notes are put together. But Stilla is more focused on BM while Bergraven is more experimental. Some nice feelings in both which don't seem common elsewhere though.

This Stilla track from their last album is kind of somewhere between the two in some respects, if you fancy checking out what I'm on about:

advertisement

Back