advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

It’s quite striking that, given the number of cabinet ministers from an immigrant background, they are amongst the most authoritarian right-wing shits. There’s no doubt that Patel, Braverman, Kwarteng et al will have experienced their fair share of racism. Just confirms that there is no automatic process of personal experience leading to a more enlightened attitude.

Not all immigrants share the same worldview.

Not all immigrants share the same worldview.

Indeed, and it would be racist to assume they did. Nevertheless, I can’t quite get my head around how the children of immigrants like Patel and Braverman, or a refugee like Zahawi, having gone through that experience with all the associated upheaval and emotional trauma, can enact legislation that prevents, or makes it extremely difficult for, others in their situation to do the same.

Sure you can, but not so easy for the woman who has to sit on the seat that you've just pissed all over.

An aside, but it doesn't take a pub landlord of many years to tell you that men can be lazy, dirty buggers when they use the lavatory. Uni-whatever loos in the workplace are an appalling, insulting and stupid idea.
Tell that to Ally McBeal.

Seriously, my mum cleaned pubs for many years and always said the women’s toilets were far dirtier than the men’s. “Bloody disgusting!”, to use her words.

Sailing close to the wind there sir! May be some people just want to get on and get ahead, and choose to ignore this 'oppression', which is actually very simple, because here in the UK, there isn't any, not race wise anyway.
De Nial is a river in Exceptional Britain, then.

Indeed, and it would be racist to assume they did. Nevertheless, I can’t quite get my head around how the children of immigrants like Patel and Braverman, or a refugee like Zahawi, having gone through that experience with all the associated upheaval and emotional trauma, can enact legislation that prevents, or makes it extremely difficult for, others in their situation to do the same.

No doubt they'll say that they achieved through hard work blah blah. They both seem to have benefitted from public scholarships to enable them to go to private schools, which got them places in top universities. Other working class kids might have passed 11+ but still been denied a place in grammar school by virtue of postcode...

New Met police chief snubs head of National Black Police Association
Exclusive: Andy George ‘baffled’ by Mark Rowley’s refusal to meet when confidence among BAME officers at rock-bottom

The new Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Mark Rowley, is at loggerheads with the National Black Police Association after refusing to meet its president and suggesting he will ban officers from “taking the knee”.

A request by the group’s head, Andy George, for an urgent meeting with Rowley, who returned to lead Scotland Yard a fortnight ago, was said to have been rejected in an email on Wednesday morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...national-black-police-association-mark-rowley

Oh. We appear to have a comedian in our midst.

I must have imagined all the racist shit I believed I'd experienced.

Class. Pure class.
Course you did. Nobody's ever called you a black **** or a n***er when you've been driving your bus around London, have they? Not once, I bet. I know I've never heard anything like that, here in Leeds and neighbouring Bradford I've never heard anyone call an Asian anything offensive. No no. Never.

Course you did. Nobody's ever called you a black **** or a n***er when you've been driving your bus around London, have they? Not once, I bet. I know I've never heard anything like that, here in Leeds and neighbouring Bradford I've never heard anyone call an Asian anything offensive. No no. Never.

Nope. Not at all; never! All a figment of my imagination. Or just bad manners.

Funny how D&I managers are always female, lesbian and white

Seriously Steve? :rolleyes: I'm sure it wasn't meant that way but it reads a bit Daily Ma*l comment section!

A colleague transitioned earlier this year. No one really cared beyond being generally supportive and nice to them. Unfortunately IT dropped the ball and he was left dead-named and misgendered on some systems for several weeks. The IT Dept isn't run by JK Rowling or anything - the processes just weren't very good.

I'm sure there's an awful lot of box ticking goes on but in this instance I was very happy to have a (non-lesbian!) diversity rep I could take this up with so that processes can be improved and the next person who transitioned doesn't find themselves having to explain their gender to every MS Teams meeting they attend.

I understand the diversity peeps also work to support neurodiverse staff. Personally I think this is all really important but I wear my woke snowflake badge with pride ;-)

Seriously Steve? :rolleyes: I'm sure it wasn't meant that way but it reads a bit Daily Ma*l comment section!

A colleague transitioned earlier this year. No one really cared beyond being generally supportive and nice to them. Unfortunately IT dropped the ball and he was left dead-named and misgendered on some systems for several weeks. The IT Dept isn't run by JK Rowling or anything - the processes just weren't very good.

I'm sure there's an awful lot of box ticking goes on but in this instance I was very happy to have a (non-lesbian!) diversity rep I could take this up with so that processes can be improved and the next person who transitioned doesn't find themselves having to explain their gender to every MS Teams meeting they attend.

I understand the diversity peeps also work to support neurodiverse staff. Personally I think this is all really important but I wear my woke snowflake badge with pride ;-)
You know by now I'd never turn DM on you. I just find that D&I officers tend to be, well, not very diverse. No, of course I don't want them to be 45 year old white male fathers of 2, but I might like to see them be a bit more diverse than they seem to be at present.

"Will get back to". It'll be interesting to see how soon this happens, meanwhile I guess it's an admission that, hitherto, only 50% were considered worth attending. Burglary is a horrible violation.
Dick, similarly vowed to reform the Met, her predecessor Hogan-Howe pledged to make the police more transparent and accountable etc etc.

A police officer has been cleared of assaulting the former footballer Dalian Atkinson during an incident in which he was killed after being Tasered and hit multiple times.

During the trial at Birmingham crown court, jurors were told Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, 32, struck Atkinson with her baton three times as he lay on the ground, after being Tasered for 33 seconds by her colleague and then partner, PC Benjamin Monk.

Monk was found guilty of manslaughter at a previous trial in June 2021, during which Bettley-Smith was also on trial for assault, but jurors failed to deliver a verdict on her charge.

Following a retrial, jurors delivered a verdict of not guilty on Wednesday.

Monk Tasered Atkinson and kicked him in the head as he lay on the ground, while shouting “****ing hit him!” to Bettley-Smith.

[They don't say if it was a predominantly white jury]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...red-assault-former-footballer-dalian-atkinson

There was good evidence of purposeful, forceful kick to head? That would be assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, on the face of it. No way could that be justified use of force.

advertisement

Back