advertisement

Meridian 557 amp for Shahinian Hawks

kwmason

Won Ton On
Hi all,

I'm still running my shahinian hawks with anEar 899 integrated valve amp - it's good for such a tricky speaker to drive but occasionally you notice it's limitations and i very much doubt I'm getting the best from my hawks overall.
I'e seen a Meridian 557 for sale and after previously having a 559 driving obelisks i'm wondering if it's up to the job? I have seen one review online saying the 557 struggles with power into low impedances which is an area hawks/obelisks need a bit of oomph apparently.
Any thoughts/experiences?

A friend had a 557, it was very good. He never ran it into very low impedance loads but Meridians of the past were always up to the task of driving Isobariks etc so I would be very surprised if an amp as high up their range as the 557 couldn't handle low Z loads.

Hold out and buy some Pass Labs Aleph 2's, by far the best amp I've had (or heard) driving Obelisks.

Hold out and buy some Pass Labs Aleph 2's, by far the best amp I've had (or heard) driving Obelisks.
I have seen other posts wrt to Pass Labs and Obelisks but have yet to hear such a combo. One big reason is that the Pass comes in silver and thats a no no for SWMBO as it clashes with our brass/gold decor.

As a matter of interest have you had the opportunity to compare the Pass with a Meridian 559? As you may be aware I run my Obelisks with two 559s each set to bridged mode for an outstanding presentation but if there is more...... Maybe I could get a Pass painted black?

To the OP the 559 is based on DSP8000 technology and is in a different league to the 557 so I think you will be disappointed. The 557 is a good amp but since you have already heard a lot better.....

Cheers,

DV

Hyped n-cores or Hegel Seem to be mentioned a lot with challenging loads. Vitus RI-100 worked well with my previously owned obs

advertisement

Back