advertisement

Meridian 506 Problem Feet

mjkelshaw

pfm Member
When I came to remove my Meridian 506 CD player from it's place the cabinet today, I found that the feet had adhered to the wooden shelf, making it really difficult to separate the unit from the shelf. After removal, the marks left on the wood by the feet were difficult to remove even using 'sticky stuff remover', and one foot had deteriorated to the consistancy of 'toffee'.
The 506 was situated on the top shelf of a cabinet which has 2 vertical members dividing it into 3 sections with 3 shelves per section, with the top two in each section being removable, it also is open front & back.
The Linn Kremlin which had been located on the shelf below did not have any problems, and none of the other items in the cabinet were affected. I also have older 200/203 units in my 'vintage' sytem that show no signs of any similar problems with the feet.
May I ask if any other owners have experienced this with other 500 series items, and whether the feet can be removed without the need to open up the casework?

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

Replaced my 596 feet with these from memory. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/anti-slip-pads/1206079/......Gus

Gus, Thank you for a really helpful reply, and link.
I had totally forgotten about the 'Hitchhikers' website, although I've been registered there for a long time.
Given the age of my Meridian kit (200/203, 504, 506), understandably, these days there are few postings regarding these items, although the 'comprehensive 'reference' section is really useful.

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

I'm not entirely sure this will work for you but may be worth a try.. I had a small stain on an oak wood floor recently. I used a diluted white vinegar solution, left it on the stain for about an hour. It did lift the stain with two applications to about 95% perfection. Good luck!

I also have older 200/203 units in my 'vintage' sytem that show no signs of any similar problems with the feet.
May I ask if any other owners have experienced this with other 500 series items, and whether the feet can be removed without the need to open up the casework?

in my case it's the other way round. The feet on the 500 units are OK, whereas those on the 200 units became a soggy messy goo! And because I have 200 units stacked on other 200 units, removing the mess was challenging!

Replacement feet like Gus suggests are also obtainable via Amazon & eBay.

Thank you for all replies.
The feet were so firmly attached that I had initially thought that they were 'screwed' to the case.
Following Gus's reply, I removed the majority of each one using a Stanley knife blade, then used a small flexible Swann Morton chisel edged scapel blade to remove the remainder. Finally I wiped the area of each foot with 'sticky stuff' remover.
The black sticky residue was even difficult to remove from my fingers.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

Hopefully you didn't do what I did, which was to put them down on the beige carpet in the living room, while disconnecting the stack...

It's a good thing a new carpet was already on the "to do" list

Hopefully you didn't do what I did, which was to put them down on the beige carpet in the living room...........

Not quite, but at one point, I did place it onto an old 'directors' chair that I'd been using as an intermediate 'rest' when manoeuvering the heaviest items from their shelves (3 'Klouts'), where of course, it left a couple of 'black spots' which I could not later remove - DOH!!!!

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

advertisement

Back