advertisement

Meridian 200 CD Transport Modification

Chris Tarling

Yellow Hound
Back when it was current I bought a new Meridian 206 CD player for, or so it seemed at the time, a huge amount of money. But that player lasted me almost 30 fantastic years. I can't remember exactly when but I had some upgrades carried out by Graham of Trichord research, specifically a clock upgrade and some replacement of some out put components. These mods gave a significant boost to the performance.

Latterly the 206 became a little recalcitrant, often refusing to play a disc at first attempt until this became a permanent star of affairs and it refused to play any discs.

I considered getting the 206 looked at but knew spares would be pretty much unavailable. I still have it though.

I bought a used G06.2 as a replacement but always felt something was missing compared to the 206.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a used 200 transport, which is in superb condition and seems to be in rude health.

I am toying with the idea of having a Newclassd Neutrino Star clock and PSU upgrade fitted. Sadly it seems that Trichord is no more - I have tried to make contact with no response.

Does anyone have any experience of the Neutrino, and could anyone recommend someone that could do the upgrade work? I know it's possible to DIY but would prefer too pay someone that knows what they are doing.

Upgrading the clock at the transport end is far from best place to spend your money. Timing jitter is much more an important factor at the point of digital to analogue conversion - at the DAC. If you want to fit an upgrade clock, do it at your DAC.

I've had good experiences with Tentlabs clocks.

Upgrading the clock at the transport end is far from best place to spend your money. Timing jitter is much more an important factor at the point of digital to analogue conversion - at the DAC. If you want to fit an upgrade clock, do it at your DAC.

I've had good experiences with Tentlabs clocks.

Interesting Mike - perhaps I'm forgetting exactly what was done to my 206. I'm using my 200 straight into my Hegel H390 amp, which has an in-built DAC.

It would make much more sense if the upgrade clock had been fitted into the DAC section of the 206.

A further refinement might be to fit a clock link between the DAC and transport and slave the transport clock from the DAC.

It would make much more sense if the upgrade clock had been fitted into the DAC section of the 206.

A further refinement might be to fit a clock link between the DAC and transport and slave the transport clock from the DAC.

I'm guessing this is what was done and it's my memory, and lack of understanding, that's leading me astray here.

There are a few electrolytics that dry out on the 206 on the servo board (under the mech) that need changing. The trichord clock is indeed a very worthwhile upgrade.

advertisement

Back