advertisement

Melco N1 users – help please. Melco not visible on network

trumpetman

pfm Member
My Melco has been visible on my main computer and laptop on my home network for ages with no problems.

• Home network is all win10 machines, three desktops and one wireless laptop
  • Melco is connected to network using Tplink powerline adapters for 5 years +
  • Melco and internet tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD801, function as normal
  • Being visible on network means if I need to tweak a tag or artwork then it can be done quite easily

Recent Microsoft updates I suspect have rendered the Melco now not visible on the network. Everything else is – shares printers etc

I have looked extensively on the internet for solutions e.g enabled and disabled SWBv1, checked network discovery, checked and double checked Advanced network sharing settings

This Melco suggestion is weird

https://www.melco-audio.com/support/faq/

Find "Windows Credentials" on ◎(Cortana) task bar => click"Add a Windows credential"
=>Address:\\(friendly name)
User name: nobody
Password: nobody

I have done this – BUT the password saved has 8 digits not 6 no matter how many times I enter it, delete and re-enter – this might be the problem but I don’t know how to fix it

Has anyone else had such problems? Can anyone give some extra advice what to check, click, declick or swear at?
Thanks
Nigel

It's an SMB bug on windows machines, it's raised its head on a few bits of kit, not just Melco and can be a pain. Logging on as nobody and nobody via a windows explorer window should work, type the Melco IP address into the address bar, you should get a pop up box asking your to login, use nobody and nobody and tick the box to remember the details for future access.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work or suggest the password is more 6 characters, you can't change it.

Thanks David I had already worked through your suggestion many times, but your comment on SMB inspired me to hunt around further.
I found this link
https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-10-network-computers-not-showing/ and experimented.

I am no expert, but reading win10 stuff it seems that SMBv1 is not secure and maybe each win10 update seeks to not let it be used.
I found that without SMBv1 the Melco share remained invisible - perhaps Alan at Melco HQ could work on a little tweak in an update?
Also the function discovery alterations appeared a sensible tweak so I follwed the instructions in the link

Result..........Melco share visible and artwork title changed - yippeeeee!

Maybe some of this could be useful for other members who have a network player similar to a Melco

Cheers everyone

Server/NAS file access being blocked/disappearing from a Win 10 PC can be due to the newer versions of SMB - V2 and V3 being unsupported on the device, Win 10 PC’s disable the oldest one - V1 if it thinks it’s not needed - unused for 14 days is one trigger that turns it off. A Feature Update like 2004 or 20H2 might also disable SMB Version 1.

Bear in mind that enabling the old compatible version, SMB V1 is a security risk so the usual caveats apply. A better option is for the device manufacturer to enable support for SMB V2 or V3 via a firmware update, meantime you can enable SMB V1, just remember to disable it when the device is updated to support V2 or V3. There are active virus and malware attacks out on the Internet that target SMB V1.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-windows-10

Amber Audio - your post makes sense in relation to my experience, thanks - the Melco wasn't idle but there were two windows updates applied as I had paused updates several times on the main PC. SMB 1 was turned off today, yet it was on.
It would be nice for Melco to design an update - I will contact them.

Amber Audio - your post makes sense in relation to my experience, thanks - the Melco wasn't idle but there were two windows updates applied as I had paused updates several times on the main PC. SMB 1 was turned off today, yet it was on.
It would be nice for Melco to design an update - I will contact them.
That would be the ideal solution. We see it on old Copier/Scanners that can’t save to new computers running SMB V3, if they are not too old there is a firmware update that fixes it - the likes of Xerox Konica Canon machines.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................
Back to square one drive is invisible again
Any ideas?

Find the IP number of the Melco - be something like 192.168.1.123 - you get the idea, I’ll cal, it M-IP

In Windows Explorer type into the Address Bar \\M-IP - does a box pop asking for Credentials or an Error? Has to be the BackSlashes \\.

On a Mac you use the Internet Webpage ones ForwardSlash // in Finder. //M-IP

Is SMBV1 enabled in Windows Features? Have you rebooted after enabling it? When you make changes like this or Registry Edits get into the habit of rebooting after even if it says it doesn’t matter.

Is Network Discovery eanabled?
http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/

Usual troubleshooting - power off THE LOT for a couple mins. Router on then Switch on if in use, wait a minute then Server on - wait a couple mins then PC on.

Any reply from Melco? Tips - they must see this a lot we see it often with older Copiers and NAS Boxes.

Hi Amber Audio - thanks for your reply.
In Windows Explorer type into the Address Bar \\M-IP - does a box pop asking for Credentials or an Error? Has to be the BackSlashes \\.
This worked, the share does not remain visible when File Explorer is closed and opened again, but running \\M-IP makes it visible, happy to live with that
Is SMBV1 enabled in Windows Features? Have you rebooted after enabling it? When you make changes like this or Registry Edits get into the habit of rebooting after even if it says it doesn’t matter.
A reboot for the hell of it was done - I'll get into this habit now!

Melco advice is as per reply 2 from David at Audio Therapy

So thanks very much, I've learnt something and hopefully this is fixed and I now have a workaround

To my knowledge I’ve never had a customer that has had issue with this method of connection, occasionally a computer will ask you to reconnect but nobody and nobody always ‘just works’

Windows updates can remove/change SMBv1. SMBv1 is required for Melco to be visible on network. Nobody nobody works, but SMBv1 has to be installed. Windows update had reset my computer to what it thought was a more secure state, reinstalling a less secure component was the solution.

I had this issue and it is maddening. What was happening with me was when the router assigned new IP addresses, for security reasons, the Melco would not show up. The solution for me was to go into the Melco settings and fix the IP address. You can pick whatever one you want and enter it into the Melco setting. I haven’t had a problem in over a year.

advertisement

Back