advertisement

Mekong River water level to fall by 70cm - another environmental disaster ?

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
Or a bunch of people having fun - water splashing festival ?
It's a wonderful name, and similar festivals are celebrated in many places at this time of year, but but -
it sounds like a whole bunch of people being allowed to have fun.

Frankly, I'm torn. There has to be some sort of payoff, and it's interesting to see one of the reasons why SE Asia tends to have a love hate relationship with China is the control of the Mekong, but - I've experienced the similar Songkran in Thailand, and it has to be one of the best reminders of the pleasures of simple enjoyment there is.

It's only a week, but even so ....

Are countries downstream compensated by china for the use of the river to generate electricity?

Thai's the question, if you look at the current state of affairs. China is pushing for bordering countries to allow bigger ships to pass down the Mekong, which it will achieve by blasting the narrow and shallow parts to a uniform width and depth. However, the other countries along this part of the Mekong, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam, have managed to prevent this happening. That said, they themselves are keen to build multiple generating plants along the Mekong, which means the river will require this anyway. At present, I am not aware of monetary compensation, since they themselves intend doing exactly the same, but much of their trade is with China so you could argue that is a form of compensation.

This situation has been brewing for a while, by the way. I don't think it is feasible to charge countries for upstream exploitation. The Rhine, Danube and Moselle all border different countries, but (and you are probably in a position to find out more quickly than I can) there doesn't seem to be more than general agreements if any.

advertisement

Back